Front suspension changing.....

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I will be doing the front suspension next Wednesday afternoon in the garage at work.

How long (roughly) does it take to do one side? I am competent at using tools, plus I will have use of windy gun, pit, heat if needed.

I have bought a cheap kit (don't shout at me! I know, but as long as it gets me through my mot) off ebay (£43) and came with no bolts. But I have been to me bud at VW and got all the nuts/bolts I need. (So glad I didn't have to pay the £61.80 they should of all been!!)

Does the leg have to off at all? Or is it a case of just removing and replacing the arms? I've done Pugs, Golfs etc with standard wishbones and one lower ball joint etc, Never an individual arm setup.

Any pointers would be appreciated to save me time next week.

Test is on Friday.

The only things I don't have is the TRE's. But had my car over the pit last week and there is no play in the current ones anyway. Only 1 C link and two upper arms were slack but I'm going to replace them all

TIA,

Dan

having to remove the upright will depend entirely on wether the upper pinch bolt plays ball.

If you can get it out, then you only need to remove the mounting plate and shock.

If you cant get it out, you'll probably end up removing it and having to drill it out or similar.

Ah ok. So if the top bolts does come out, I can replace the top, then do the bottom arms not have to remove the hub bolt, disc, caliper etc?

Cool, so here is to hoping!!

As aragorn has already mentioned, those top pinch-bolts can be an absolute swine to remove if they haven't been out before......
Once they are out though give the new bolt and its path through the strut housing a liberal dose of copper-based grease and you'll never have any aggro again.
It's a really crap design though IMHO.