power steering faults?

Jay85

Reaction score
Hi there.
Recently acquired an A4 1.8 20v. Been great up till about half hour ago.
Driving home, I lose all power steering. Pop the bonnet and check reservoir and the level is down and bubbling and steaming. Further inspection reveals fluid all over the under tray.
Do these have a common well known power steering fault? Or will some further investigation be required? Also any reason why the fluid was bubbling and steaming? I'm guessing It's due to the fact I had to drive a further 2 mile to get home lol.
Many thanks!
Jay

Id bet the previous owner used standard ATF fluid and has screwed the rack seals up. The pipes and connections tend to be pretty good and reliable in my experience

take the undertrays off and have a nosey round.
look at the rack boots see if theyre full of hyd. oil?

these things are getting older now. a pressure pipe could have corroded thru?

fingers crossed its not the rack. altho its not hard, i wouldnt describe them as fun to change.

I checked the fluid a few weeks back when I bought it..it didn't seem to have the redtinge normally associated with ATF. Will have to further investigate tomorrow.
Whats the name of the fluid I need to get?

mine occasionally leaks from the joint on the "cooler", a little bent bit of pipe infront of the rad...

I've had it leak from the cooler to rubber pipe joint too, and also had the metal cooler pipe rub through

The fluid you want is called "CHF11S" most factors will carry it.

I know a lot of folk say ATF is bad, but our Avant has had red fluid (so presumably ATF) in it since we baught it two years ago (i didnt notice!) I've recently changed it out for the proper stuff, but touch wood the rack seems fine.

Both my "shed" and craigs S4 also had red fluid in them and again this was only noticed when draining them down rather than because the rack had started leaking.

Just to update, it was the rack to cooler return pipe. Had rubbed through on the engine bay.
Cheers