can I get rid of a brake pad warning light by unplugging it?

jcb

Reaction score
does it only come on when the circuit is closed by the contact on the disc?
pads are fine, not worn at all

blody light is on and I need the MOT done

If the pads are fine, check the connectors. Sometimes releasing them, giving them a brush and burst of compressed air, then reconnecting them until you hear them 'click' is all that's required. Also check the wiring. Not uncommon to damage the wiring during brake maintenance. Easy enough to fix with a soldering iron, then heat-shrink the exposed wire. I've also repaired the wire where it enters the pad, and secured with a spot of epoxy to protect.

Just bridge the plug on the car side with a small piece of wire but if the pads are worn too thin it may fail they mot anyway...

Just bridge the plug on the car each side with a small piece of wire thats what I done on my car :)

pads are brand new when I got the car.
nothing wrong there. this is an A6

my car has never had indicator pads and am pretty sure the connectors are unbridged and there is no light.

does it work by breaking the connection to bring the light on, rather than making a connection?

cheers

Its a loop to ground via each pad.

Once worn (or unplugged) the path to ground disappears and the light comes on.

If there are no wear sensors on the pads, then bridge the wires!

Your TQS will have wear sensors if it has a Digital clock, and like mine, the wires are probably bridged inside the car, just before the wires poke out into the wheel well.