Cruise control upgrade - What models can have this done?

simong

Reaction score
I've got a 97 model A4 1.9TDi Quattro avant and I'm getting conflicting stories on the upgrade, one garage says it' just the stalk at around £80 plus a re-program of the ECU to "see" it and another says it's around £800 as a new pedal assembly, stalk and computer module is required??? Is there a way of telling from the car what it needs visually?

Also I would like to upgrade from the standard key fob to the plip key with the two buttons, one garage says it's the cost of the key plus coding and another says it's impossible on my model to upgrade??? Who's telling porkies??

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim.

If your car is Drive by Wire you can get the 'simple' upgrade. If not probably best to forget it.

Pre 1999.5 Petrol cars are non-DBW don't know about the diesels.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Greg, I would imagine that the diesels are the same, is there a visual way of checking if I have DBW?

Cheers,

Jim.

i think the diesels are drive by wire.
apparently there is an ECU light onyour dash when you turn the ignition on.
Or look underneath the dash by the pedals and see if there is a cable on the pedal or whether it is pressing a sensor.
i retrofitted cruise control to my non drive by wire car. it works well but it is a bit of work to fit!

To be honest I would think the easiest way would be to phone Audi and give them your chassis number.

Thanks Guys, will get out there and check just now.

Jim.

thats odd, i have DBW on my N reg 1.9TDI. I know this, because the Throttle Position Sensor went ape lol, had to ave it replaced. mmmm interesting!

Surely if you have the EPC light in your dash cluster you have DBW?

I thought EPC meant Electronic Power Control, therefore DBW?

Kev.

Check your throttle body as stated above... look for a throttle cable. It will be mounted in a cam-like fitting that pulls the throttle open when the cable is drawn back. If you have no such cable then it is DBW... Quite simple really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Easiest way to check, is start your car up, rev to over 2000 rpm and put your left foot on the brake. If the revs drop to idle , then your car if DBW.
HTH

Well we appear to have a winner here, the A4 TDi does indeed run back to idle as described above when my foot goes on the brake pedal at 2000rpm, however it's odd that the 2000 model S3 doesn't, still.

So what do I need to get to upgrade the A4 with Cruise? Also I only have normal keys for my A4, is it possible to upgrade to the remote keyfobs as in use on the later Audi's?

Thanks again for everyones help.