Anti Roll Bar Link Bushes.

Mackers

Reaction score
hi all,
i'm looking at replacing my ARB bushes and ARB link bushes on my A4 2.5Tdi Quatt,
only thing is, i've measured the front anitroll bar at 26MM (not 25 or 27 as listed in the powerflex site),
is there a sure way of finding out the size and also the size of the rear.
Many Thanks
Wayne.

why are you replacing the arb mounting bushes? these dont wear out. ive never replaced any.
the tiny buses in the "c" links do wear out, but they are cheap and have NO give in new standard ones, so no point replacing with poly.

apart from the "c" links, if your trying to get to the bottom of a knocking noise...... its not the arb itself!

I've never replaced one on a B5, but i have heard of folk over on the 8L forum who have had those bushes wear out.

Making the mountings stiffer by using poly also increases the effectiveness of the bar, as the squidge when the ARB twists in the rubber bushings reduces the spring rate.

Also, the standard C link bushes, even when new, do have a fair mount of give. Simply jacking up one corner of the car, and looking at how much the rubber has twisted inside the C links is a good example of this. Again, making it more solid makes the bar more effective, and makes things tighter, as you dont have this two stage effect where an action on the ARB first twists the rubber THEN the steel.

are you sure 29mm, as i have measured smaller, or are the bars smaller at the end (can be seen from the wheel arch, as that's where i measured whilst the car was on full lock :S :S) i'd be replacing the "C" link bar bushes too, as well as the link, i want to stiffen the ride, as after having an MX5, my current car "rolls like a boat" LoL.

What can i do about the links of the back end ??

Neuspeed 19mm rear bar with metal droplinks will sort things out nicely when coupled with a sport front bar.

ETKA definately says 29mm for ALL A4 quattros, there are two part numbers though, i believe cars with sport suspension got a solid 29mm bar and cars with non-sport got a hollow 29mm bar.

Might want to check your suspension PR code to see if its sport or standard. It'll be 1B? where the ? tells you the type. I believe 1BE, 1BD, 1BV and 1BQ are sport, others are standard.

My Quattro has a HUGE red ARB at the front and a thin black one at the rear.

I will get under car again soon and measure it but it felt solid when i tapped it with a hammer. Wonder why its red though? I'm fairly certain my car has been lowered and stiffened as its handles so much better than my S4 ever did.

Red is something aftermarket.

TBH, adding more front ARB to these cars just makes them understeer more. Theres good reason Audi fitted the same front ARB to all its sport models from the 1.8T thru to the RS4...

Hence my suggestion above of retaining the standard front bar, and fitting a 19mm rear bar.

Reactions: BRILLO
Never had understeer on mine. Even on tight bends at speed it just clung to the tarmac and goes round. Unless it is still 29mm but an aftermarket item?

i've got 1BE (sports, i've read on a de-coder thing online)
my chassis is
WAUZZZ8D1A0995028D5049,
i've checked it again and deffo have 26-27MM :S :S so so confused now :(

Reactions: BRILLO
I have solid front arb C links on mine.
rose jointed alloy goodness originally made for Subaru Impreza rear Arbs.

they were a impulse purchase but having seen two previous sets of C links shed their inner rubber I have yet to see any issue with these.

The RS4 boys said the rose joints would corrode away to nothing but 4 years of scotlands finest grit and solt havent had much effect on them at all

The bushes are always smaller than the actual bar on ETKA on the B5. So 25mm for 27mm bar, 27mm bush for 29mm bar.

hi all,
i'm looking at replacing my ARB bushes and ARB link bushes on my A4 2.5Tdi Quatt,
only thing is, i've measured the front anitroll bar at 26MM (not 25 or 27 as listed in the powerflex site),
is there a sure way of finding out the size and also the size of the rear.
Many Thanks
Wayne.

Hi mate,

I am selling my brand-new Powerflex Rear Anti Roll Bar Bushes for Audi A4/S4/RS4 15mm

£25 let me know if you need it.

Was going to make a new thread but just read through this one and it seemed appropriate so... I don't want to hijack but what would the effects of worn anti roll bar drop links on the rear be? Ta

having re-checked with another set of venier calipers (spelling) i can now confirm they are actually 29MM, my guage was 2 and a bit MM out **PHEW**
as for the offer on the rear bushes... can you pls PM me NEz, i'm very interested.

I have never changed my ARB bushes and ARB link bushes. Actually i did not find i need of replacing them so i am not assure of the way of measuring size of ARB bushes.

having re-checked with another set of venier calipers (spelling) i can now confirm they are actually 29MM, my guage was 2 and a bit MM out **PHEW**
as for the offer on the rear bushes... can you pls PM me NEz, i'm very interested.

you want to be upgrading the rear ARB, so the 15mm bushes wont be any good.

get a 19mm Nuespeed rear bar and everything will be rosy!