Folding mirrors when car is locked.

Ahhhhh.....whats the deal then? Bearing in mind im in the middle of relocating so if it costs a bit then im out!:asskicking:

Bout a ton all in.
drivers mirror (I have), passenger mirror (ebay), relay (ebay), switch (audi), cables and plugs (audi).

Done. :)
Could go one step further and go dimming mirrors as well.

Mm like the sound of that, my Mondeo has it and TBH it's great especially in our street.

There is a thread about how to add folding mirrors but heres two links to some of the parts you need.

Audi A8 A6 A4 A3 Folding Mirror Control module | eBay

Left hand electric folding wing mirror for Audi A4 | eBay

I do have the drivers folding mirror if any one wants to do this mod.

But back to my question. lol

How can I make them fold in when I lock the car?
I have not much research in this yet but I will.

There is one cable that goes from the switch to the control model, would this be a earth or a positive?
which ever it is, would it be possible to wiring in some form of relay that activates when the car is locked (there must be a lock signal some where?) which will then activate the mirrors to lock and unlock?

I'm sure you would be able to take a signal from the pump unit Scott.
Then use this to operate a relay signal in parrallel with your mirror control unit.
Bear in mind you would also want a second signal from the pump unit to close again

I'm sure you would be able to take a signal from the pump unit Scott.
Then use this to operate a relay signal in parrallel with your mirror control unit.
Bear in mind you would also want a second signal from the pump unit to close again

Need a signal to open them or deactivate the relay.
Would also need to make it so I can manually fold them if needed.

I need to get thinking.
Any one got any ideas or suggestions?

I had them and auto tint. But Lee has them now.

I think if you could build a timer relay to activate on locking the car, you could do it pretty easily

I had them and auto tint. But Lee has them now.

I think if you could build a timer relay to activate on locking the car, you could do it pretty easily

Auto tint is just the mirror glass and wired to the middle mirror right?
I got the cables in my mirror bodys all ready.

Timer relay would be no good.
I think a single latching relay would do it, depending on the signal for lock, unlock and to fold.

Thread awaken or something.

I've been looking in to this again.
I blame the A3 lads for talking about it and doing it. Now I want it!!

My copy ELSAwin is acting up at the moment I need some wiring help please lads.

When you turn the mirror switch to fold, it connects to earth and the mirrorw.
Turn it back and it brakes earth.
Ok, I need to find a cable from the central locking pump that earths on lock.
I found one, Green with a yellow tracer in the middle plug (its brown).

Is any one able to look up this cable and see what it does?
I don't want to connect it to the mirrors and find out it brakes something else.

Also, I noticed there is a couple of empty pins with in the plugs.
Does any one know or able to find out, if any of these fires the boot popper for opening the boot?

Thanks.

Hi guys, I'm looking into doing this on my A3. It's already got folding mirrors, just need to automate it.

The mirrors have two wires a live and a ground (i think) and they are reversed when the mirrors open up.

so basically I dont see why this couldnt be done with two timer relays (one for lock and the other for unlock), a maybe a few diodes?

You'd just need to tap into the locking mechanism on the drivers door. In my head this seems quite straight forward..

Is there something I'm missing??

You would need something like this:

CSO1 Multi Function Timer Relay Module 0-15min 12/24v - Circuit Solutions Online | eBay

Something that has a trigger port on it. I think it could work. I might get one and test it out..

Could always use a 5 pin relay, that way have a 'NO' & 'NC' signal on the coil.

Not sure if can use both sides at once tho?

If you wire + to N/C and - to N/O then common will switch from + to - when the coil is energized. I thought that Central locking worked in much the same way though and not an instantanoius signal when locked or unlocked but 2 wires that reverse polarity.

Reactions: Todd1983