Heater Matrix Replacement

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Morning people.

I'm planning on replacing my heater matrix in April and getting all parts ready.

I'm ordering the heater matrix this week and some coolant.
Apart from that can any one think of any thing else that needs replacing or recommend replacing?

Going by Haynes it looks like a dash out job!! Good luck if it is.

Are you going for the genuine part from the dealer or TPS to minimise the hassle of doing it all over again further down the line? It's well worth disconnecting the oil cooler pipes and also the thermostat and giving the engine and radiator a right good flush through with a hose to remove any corrosion and also all the old coolant as I feel the matrix rusts from the inside out as the inhibitors in the coolant deplete with time.

20080122_IMG_2645.jpg

Tuffty's

Are you going for the genuine part from the dealer or TPS to minimise the hassle of doing it all over again further down the line? It's well worth disconnecting the oil cooler pipes and also the thermostat and giving the engine and radiator a right good flush through with a hose to remove any corrosion and also all the old coolant as I feel the matrix rusts from the inside out as the inhibitors in the coolant deplete with time.

Genuine parts.
I'm not going through the same hassle as Westy.

I gave the system a drain and flush through when I replaced thermostat but I will do it again but not to the same extent.

its not too bad taking the dash out of one of these. nice job tbh.

one of the heater hoses has a small hole in it, just pull it back to expose the hole, and fill with water till it comes out the hole.

Done it.
Took me a day and half to strip the car, relocated a relay, cleaned up some connections, rerouted some cables, wrapped my last bit of wood trim, replace the matrix and put it all back together again.

Heres some pics.

Before I've done any thing.
919642cc.jpg

Centre console nest of wires. This is what needed tiding up and the location of the relay that I moved where the other relays are.
e276b248.jpg

Half way.
5e3a65e3.jpg

No more heater.
f0af7cb0.jpg

cadb3d9a.jpg

One heater. This thing is huge.
7483bd77.jpg

Just a little leak.
dfa59b81.jpg

The end of the day this is what my boot looked like.
467913_10150621286311571_677011570_9324891_1812886861_o.jpg

Next day I put it all back together, wrapped the wood trim in matt black. It now looks like this.

cfb20476.jpg

91137f4c.jpg

With all the drained out and some spare time I went off and did some engine bay work.

New EGR blank, Air box cover, New battery cover and new coolant bottle.
Then a quick clean.
805f666e.jpg

Its job a I enjoyed, oddly but not one I really want to do again.

well done scotty dog!
you done good brother! nice to see it all fitted back together and works!
the strip you wrapped looks the muts nuts mate! i like that a lot!
now, tell the truth! how many nuts/bolts/screws/fixings were left over? and have you any rattles now?
:beerchug:

well done scotty dog!
you done good brother! nice to see it all fitted back together and works!
the strip you wrapped looks the muts nuts mate! i like that a lot!
now, tell the truth! how many nuts/bolts/screws/fixings were left over? and have you any rattles now?
:beerchug:

No bolts left over.
not driven it yet. lol
I will tomorrow.

job well done !
bay looks mint, i did wonder if you were going to fit that fancy cap to your old manky reservoir
was blind switch from an a6? could you not fit fog, blank and cup holder from an a6 they'd all sit flush then

where did you get the matt vinyl i need to cover my shift surround

job well done !
bay looks mint, i did wonder if you were going to fit that fancy cap to your old manky reservoir
was blind switch from an a6? could you not fit fog, blank and cup holder from an a6 they'd all sit flush then

where did you get the matt vinyl i need to cover my shift surround
Cheers mate. I got some other bay bits coming to finish it off.
also want some plastic dip.

The blind switch is from a B6. there is company that does a garage opener open for the B5, I might get that.
I don't like the colour or size of the B6 button but if does the job for now.

I bought the wrap off eBay.
You can send me your centre and II'll do it for you or I can send you a section of wrap.