Unsticking AFN turbo vanes

tezmc

Reaction score
I had a go at unblocking my AFN turbo vanes today, using the guide posted on here. I've got a quick question though. The guide says to feed the pipe straight into the exhaust side of the turbo by going straight down in the exhaust manifold.

On mine, there is no real route straight down, it looks like the port goes right and then down. Is this the right area to be putting the piping into?

Crappy photo to illustrate:

0XA7e.jpg

Cheers for any help

Ive read the thread and that is possibley the worse way i have ever seen a turbo been cleaned MR MUSCLE lol.....why do people think the carbon will just blow out the exhaust??.....Once the carbon has been lossen up it will act like a foriegn body and when it gets worm it could weld its self back to the vanes or worse case to the turbine wheel and take the shaft out of balance and blow the turbo to bits....good luck to those who are going to do it..(i dont wonna sound like a d**k but i also dont wont people having blown turbos cuz sum 1 has had ago with there oven cleaner)....The only best way is to take the turbo off and do it propely.

Breaking news ASDA sales are up by 20% cause of this..sold out on MR MUSCLE....string vest and marriegolds running low too :idea:
get em while you can:undwech:

Gotta say this may only be a quick fix but could cause further damage down the line!
If it were my car id take turbo off and remove turbine housing and clean out carbon properly! Theres a company in midlands that do this all in house for little money! May not be carbon thats causing sticking vanes! Could be one of the vanes themselves as the tips can break away and lodge inside stopping the vnt system from moving. upon starting the engine after using mr muscle you may free it and do damage to turbine wheel then big money! I have seen this sort of thing happen lots of times!

AudiiduA, do you know the company that will do this? Sounds like a better option than trying to do it in-situ.

Cheers

There no is 01827 283208 ask for Ben, they clean turbine housing and all vnt system and comes back looking new for about 150

I tried this fix about 2 years ago and have only lost boost twice since then.
The way I did it was -
Put the front of the car up on ramps
Seperate the exhaust pipe under the drivers seat
Undo the 3 nuts that hold the exhaust onto the turbo
rotate the exhaust until you can remove it through the engine bay
spray the cleaner directly into the turbo
while that is working -
remove the cat from the short pipe
use a metal bar or long SDS drill and smash out the inside of the cat. This needs to be done as it can be blocked by the cleaner running through it. Don't worry about the MOT test, the cat is not part of it on a Diesel.
Put back and enjoy.

Of cause, the best way would be to have it done professionally. This costs money though!

Jim.

I thought about doing this but did not like the idea of getting it wrong or Mr Muscle leaking in to the cool side and causing damage.

I keep toying with the idea of taking the turbo off but having never done it before I'm a little paranoid of something snapping.

Any one removed the turbo from a AFN and stripped it?

I thought about doing this but did not like the idea of getting it wrong or Mr Muscle leaking in to the cool side and causing damage.

I keep toying with the idea of taking the turbo off but having never done it before I'm a little paranoid of something snapping.

Any one removed the turbo from a AFN and stripped it?
Like i say, if you dont want to do the job yourself ring Ben on 01827 283208. He can do the whole job of removing and refitting and cleans all VNT system ,vanes, turbine housing,and manifold! look brand new when done! Can even do all bearings and seals while off! Brilliant service and really knows his Audi's!

Scott, if the cleaner leaks to the cool side (compressor) then the turbine is b******d anyway. Don't get too hung up on it eating your car - as long as it is not left for days, you'll be ok.
If you are worried about feeding tubes down the manifold, can you not disconnect the exhaust from the turbo outlet on a 1.9 and spray in there, as I did with my 2.5 TDis, as I posted on Evilscotsmans original thread? Read page 10/11 of fjtwelves 2.5TDi V6 quattro Sport 180hp Turbochip thread for pictures to get ideas.
The sodium hydroxide in the Mr Muscle will loosen and partially dissolve the carbon. When you start up, the exhaust gasses will expel the gunk, and any residue is burnt off.
The variable vanes, or rings may be shot, but for a couple of pounds, I think it is a good fix for most problems. As I posted on the original thread, if you move the actuator up and down, you feel it free off. If it isn't this, then you're into money spending anyway
Stripping (or at least re-assembling) a turbo yourself is MUCH more likely to cause problems. I wouldn't do it unless I really had to, and I am very experienced in this type of thing in my professional life.

Thanks all (Sorry to hijack)
I'll wait till something goes pop.
It all seems ok at the moment.

I can hear it spooling up and air moving I think.
So I assume its ok.
Not had much experience with Turbos.

Stripping (or at least re-assembling) a turbo yourself is MUCH more likely to cause problems. I wouldn't do it unless I really had to, and I am very experienced in this type of thing in my professional life.[/QUOTE]

Ive been doing turbos for the last 10years ive seen this have ago hero stuff before.....and in the end people will realise Mr Muscle is for ovens not turbos....they are so complex on the vnt side.....there is little oil lines going through the bore of the vnt and if they get blocked bye bye turbo......and Mr Muscle does not deslove all the carbon the people who are doing this is running on luck tbh....

i ent trying to be funny but it is not a good idea.

So I assume its ok.
Not had much experience with Turbos.[/QUOTE]

If you can here it spooling your comp wheel is touching your comp cover, the thrust bearing is on its way out......when they go they go with a bang....you are on borrowed time depending on how you drive it cud last 6days 6months.....just depending on how quick the bearing throws the shaft out of balance and if that happens you are more than likely going to look at a new turbo instead of a recon that would only cost £180

scottB5 said:
So I assume its ok.
Not had much experience with Turbos.

If you can here it spooling your comp wheel is touching your comp cover, the thrust bearing is on its way out......when they go they go with a bang....you are on borrowed time depending on how you drive it cud last 6days 6months.....just depending on how quick the bearing throws the shaft out of balance and if that happens you are more than likely going to look at a new turbo instead of a recon that would only cost £180

I'll have another listen, its more air then metal I think.
I've not really paid much attention to the turbo.
I get in, it drives and no odd noises or smells. I'm happy.

if it sounds like a ghost under load then its the bearings.....if its happening on low rpm when you are just coming onto to boost it will be more than likely air boost leak...so will need a pressure test m8:beerchug:

My K03 sounds like a ghost as it spools up and its fine been like that since i fitted the turbo 6 months ago. The hybrid on marks car sounded like that for about 2 years, again without any problems.

Unless it sounds like a dentists drill then it'd ignore it.

My K03 sounds like a ghost as it spools up and its fine been like that since i fitted the turbo 6 months ago. The hybrid on marks car sounded like that for about 2 years, again without any problems.

Unless it sounds like a dentists drill then it'd ignore it.

like i sed in my last post i sed it could last 6wks 6months its a unsure case with the thrust bearing going...a good strong turbo will not make a sound at all....unless the hybrid or repair job is shamby!