Gear box problems A4 Avant, gearbox code DHL.

slats0356

Reaction score
Hi,
my 97 tdi avant has started buzzing slightly in 3rd gear when changing up and down, and every now and then its difficult and sometimes impossible to shift from 1st to 2nd. Im guessing that i need to replace the gearbox but im finding it difficult to find a dhl box, are there any other tdi boxes that are compatible with the AHU engine. Any advice welcome.

thanks. Al

I'm breaking a 98 Tdi avant :)

If you do end up replacing the gearbox, don't forget that many mechanical parts of the A4 are shared with the Passat, and so can be had for less than bumped-up Audi prices!
My car now has a 'box sourced from a TDi Passat, identical in every way (same part number etc etc) but was way cheaper than sourcing an 'Audi' one.................

Thanks for that alsie is it a dhl box or will it fit mine?, if your not to far from me i could collect im in sunny cornwall.

Thanks for the info nessy will bear that in mind if i get no joy locally.

Thanks for that alsie is it a dhl box or will it fit mine?, if your not to far from me i could collect im in sunny cornwall.

How do I tell if it's a dhi box, bit on a novice, I'm in south Wales, but was planning on scrapping the car with the engine and box still in it, so the box would be free if you take it out

There should be the factory production sticker in the boot area, it lists option codes the car was fitted with, along with engine and gearbox codes IIRC........

Will check when I get home

There should be the factory production sticker in the boot area, it lists option codes the car was fitted with, along with engine and gearbox codes IIRC........

cant find said sticker in boot, door shuts or anywhere, any clues anyone?

errr.. no fraid I dont...any other way of telling the spec?

label.jpg

DHF box in your car then.

Might be worth seeing what the difference is between a DHF/DHL gearbox. Maybe someone with ETKA could shed some light on this.

Worth a trip then for a free gearbox :)