Volks AutosChris Nott
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3

    2001 AUDI A4 TDI QUATTRO SE BLACK

    Hi all, i'm interested in joining the audi crowd and have a chance to buy an 01 A4 quattro, for 2200 quid from ebay. It's done 141000 miles, it has a pretty tidy exterior, i was wondering if anyone could assist with any pertinent questions i could ask the seller the only info thats been added is "part service history". Last cam belt change/wheel bearings, was all i could think of are there any particular flaws i should be aware of?

    cheers

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Foxmeister's Avatar
    Fired Up!
    Funky Pong Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sunny Glesga!
    Posts
    1,767
    Was the water pump and tensioner changed with the timing belt? Costly repair if not!

    Price of car is a little on the high side also, unless it comes with a lot of extras/upgrades!

    Project RS28 build
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...1-Project-RS28

    German cowboy walks into a car showroom and says "Audi".......

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Malton
    Posts
    274
    Make sure the thermostat reads at 90 deg, check for oil leaks, two keys, make sure everything works like radio/cd player. Check the engine oil and how dirty it looks, know how to take the air scoop comes out and look in the air box to see how dirty the air filter is. Are the tyres all the same - different ones mean the last owner was a cheapskate. Check panel alignment. Check that headlights are still using origin al brackets and have not been damaged in a crash. Air bag light? Air bags don't work = insurance invalid. Chech shock absorbers by pushing down each corner, car should bounce back once. Look at the rear diff for oil leaks. Take it up to 85 mph check for noises and vibration. That's what I would do.

  5. #4
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    765
    Is it a 1.9 or 2.5?

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Many thanks for the replies guys, it was a 2.5 but i decided against it, in the end. The search continues...

  7. #6
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxmeister View Post
    Was the water pump and tensioner changed with the timing belt? Costly repair if not!

    Price of car is a little on the high side also, unless it comes with a lot of extras/upgrades!
    You sure u know what are you talking about ? 2k for a v6 tdi quattro is cheap, i know loads of eastern europeeans looking for any quattro's, even petrol ones fetch 1500 quid ! I buy and sell loads of cars and i sell 97-98 1.9 tdi quattro's for £1500-2000 !
    Breaking these cars brings double the money !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

  8. #7
    Foxmeister's Avatar
    Fired Up!
    Funky Pong Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sunny Glesga!
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    You sure u know what are you talking about ? 2k for a v6 tdi quattro is cheap, i know loads of eastern europeeans looking for any quattro's, even petrol ones fetch 1500 quid ! I buy and sell loads of cars and i sell 97-98 1.9 tdi quattro's for £1500-2000 !
    Breaking these cars brings double the money !
    Considering your now into B6 teritory for that price then aye, Audi A4 Saloon TDI 180 Quattro Sport | eBay

    If you sell to only eastern european people for your own profit then fine, but dont try to affect the UK market due to this, mainly why this country is now in dire straits, over inflated sales prices and underpaid labour, thanks for that!

    Sorry but diesels arent as economical as they used to be namely due to high priced fuel so i dont see why certain owners/sellers think they are sitting on a goldmine if they have a diesel!

    Project RS28 build
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...1-Project-RS28

    German cowboy walks into a car showroom and says "Audi".......

  9. #8
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,081
    ^Don't get me wrong but you don't see the big picture, britain had overpriced labour forces for decades-that's why the migration, the moves the government makes is getting the prices in line with the rest of europe and us buying cars have fu*k all to do with the state of economy ! This is called inflation and when you have 2x £50 quid bills in circulation at the same time it just shows how bad the inflation is-you count more paper and buy less. The soap bubble burst long time ago, britain produces too little and imports too much + keeping all the lowlifes on benefits is a burden on all tax payers.
    As i said above, 2k is very cheap for a v6 tdi quattro, probably it has worn cams and loads of problems ! Good cars always keep their value, do not compare a german motor to a english made ford or vauxhall, they aren't in the same league. I sometimes ask why we drive german cars, shouldn't us support british economy by buying british made cars ? Forgot, there's no more real british car industry anymore...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

  10. #9
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,909
    I wouldnt say its cheap. Its about the right price for a late model facelift TDI Quattro IMO.

    The engines have too many potential problems to really be worth any more, and as pointed out above, B6's are dropping in price. Unless the car happened to have a extemely detailled history and had proof that the pump and perhaps cams had already been changed, in which case it might be worth a little more.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  11. #10
    Foxmeister's Avatar
    Fired Up!
    Funky Pong Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sunny Glesga!
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    ^Don't get me wrong but you don't see the big picture, britain had overpriced labour forces for decades-that's why the migration, the moves the government makes is getting the prices in line with the rest of europe and us buying cars have fu*k all to do with the state of economy ! This is called inflation and when you have 2x £50 quid bills in circulation at the same time it just shows how bad the inflation is-you count more paper and buy less. The soap bubble burst long time ago, britain produces too little and imports too much + keeping all the lowlifes on benefits is a burden on all tax payers.
    As i said above, 2k is very cheap for a v6 tdi quattro, probably it has worn cams and loads of problems ! Good cars always keep their value, do not compare a german motor to a english made ford or vauxhall, they aren't in the same league. I sometimes ask why we drive german cars, shouldn't us support british economy by buying british made cars ? Forgot, there's no more real british car industry anymore...
    Mate, im not even gonna get into a debate about this country, bit of a contradiction by distinguishing how German cars shouldnt be compared to british built yet you then state that Britain should now get in line with the rest of Europe?

    Anyway, on topic, agree with Kev its at the top end of price but i'd try get a couple of hundred off it, unless it has a lot of extras spec wise then it would be more desirable. Ive started to see S4's down to 2.5k lately! But at the end of the day, its worth what someone will pay really, so depends on their outlook on the day.

    Project RS28 build
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...1-Project-RS28

    German cowboy walks into a car showroom and says "Audi".......

  12. #11
    Foxmeister's Avatar
    Fired Up!
    Funky Pong Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sunny Glesga!
    Posts
    1,767
    Come to think of it, i remember somebody trying to sell a 1.8 TQS a while back for a hefty sum, was well specced etc with LPG but was never shifting at 4.5K!!!

    AudiSRS.com :: Audi A4 S4 1.8T Quattro Avant LPG Nogaro Blue Very High spec

    Dont know if it did ever sell, names similar to you, was it yours? Did you get it sold if so???

    Project RS28 build
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...1-Project-RS28

    German cowboy walks into a car showroom and says "Audi".......

  13. #12
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,909
    Funnily enough, that bloke is the guy i bought Shed from :P

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  14. #13
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxmeister View Post
    Come to think of it, i remember somebody trying to sell a 1.8 TQS a while back for a hefty sum, was well specced etc with LPG but was never shifting at 4.5K!!!

    AudiSRS.com :: Audi A4 S4 1.8T Quattro Avant LPG Nogaro Blue Very High spec

    Dont know if it did ever sell, names similar to you, was it yours? Did you get it sold if so???
    That has nowt to do with me mate, i have the same screen name on every other forum i freqvent ! The 1.8T has a lot of issues as well, from Lambda sensors to sludge, the v6 tdi has only 2 problems: cam wear on LONGLIFE serviced cars and faulty EDC on VP44 on pre 2003 cars. When audi fixed the cam issues by introducing the later cam roller heads and the pump issues then they dropped-it altoghether as it was a serious contender to the 2.7 Tdi engine... so they de-tuned it to 163 Bhp ! From an engineering point of view if a car gets to 180k in 10 years then it's done well, most modern tosh (2004 onwards) strugle to make-it past 150k with full service history !
    Foxmeister, i think you need to see the situation with different eyes, perhaps spending all that time alone with other mens on them drilling rigs clouds your judgement ! Is that what they call "man love" ? I heard stories that the further up north you go the ugliest the woman's are... I will rest my case here because we were talking b6 quattro's then we started doing politics- i took it one step further with the sex joke ! What next ?! Racism ...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

  15. #14
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19
    Depends if it's a late B5 or an early B6 ?.

  16. #15
    Foxmeister's Avatar
    Fired Up!
    Funky Pong Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sunny Glesga!
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    That has nowt to do with me mate, i have the same screen name on every other forum i freqvent ! The 1.8T has a lot of issues as well, from Lambda sensors to sludge, the v6 tdi has only 2 problems: cam wear on LONGLIFE serviced cars and faulty EDC on VP44 on pre 2003 cars. When audi fixed the cam issues by introducing the later cam roller heads and the pump issues then they dropped-it altoghether as it was a serious contender to the 2.7 Tdi engine... so they de-tuned it to 163 Bhp ! From an engineering point of view if a car gets to 180k in 10 years then it's done well, most modern tosh (2004 onwards) strugle to make-it past 150k with full service history !
    Foxmeister, i think you need to see the situation with different eyes, perhaps spending all that time alone with other mens on them drilling rigs clouds your judgement ! Is that what they call "man love" ? I heard stories that the further up north you go the ugliest the woman's are... I will rest my case here because we were talking b6 quattro's then we started doing politics- i took it one step further with the sex joke ! What next ?! Racism ...
    Hey pal, wind your f%&kin neck in, i only asked if it was you as the names bear a resemblance and hes obviously a dreamer like you!

    As for the rigs comment, i dont even work on rigs with other "mens" so you obviously have me confused with one of your other pen pals!

    I think it best you shut up now as your bordering on racism yourself with the "further up north you go the ugliest the woman's are..."

    Try using English aswell eh!

    Sorry to the OP for clogging the thread up, maybe a mod can clean up the mess after Adamsrsrr246rs24 got a bit excited about v6 diesels!

    Project RS28 build
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...1-Project-RS28

    German cowboy walks into a car showroom and says "Audi".......

  17. #16
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,909
    <click>

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO