help rear calipers.

bobo139

Reaction score
hi.ok guys and gals have searched and to no luck at all.my car is an audi a4 b5 avant 1.8 non turbo 1997 and what i want to know is if a rear caliper of a v reg passat saloon 1.8 turbo will be the same as mine or would i need to change both rear calipers as one of mine is leaking.

any help at all is much appreciated

thanks.

Which side you need ?

A4 saloon and avant are the same, have you searched eBay for people breaking A4's ??

I'd say the passat 1.8t may have slightly bigger rear discs but I may be wrong.

its pass side on mine thats leaking.its just that i can take them of the said passat for free so just wanted to make sure rather than take them and go to fit them,then they turn out to be wrong or as you say different size.(never thought about that in the first place lol.)

They may be different, as later cars used an alloy caliper, but they're interchangeable.

Just get both calipers off the passat and swap em both if need be.

yeah think my ones are steel.so i can get away with just swapping either one or both calipers without swapping discs and pads as my own discs and pads are only a month old.just want to be sure on it as i use the car daily.
thanks alot for all this help.

Audi sell repair kits ('o' ring seal, dust sleeve, etc) so a replacement calliper isn't necessarily the only option. I use Lockheed red grease on pison bore before rebuilding. Also worth replacing brake fluid nipple as they're prone to breaking. You'll need brake wind back tool too. Good opportunity to dismantle the handbrake spring to clean and lube, and check condition of handbrake cable.