Jason`s FWD 1.8T build

The autochanger and cage weighs a tonne! I hadnt weighed that when i stripped the rear out the other month as i`d already taken it out last year but came across it in the garage roof the other day and i`d forgotten how heavy it was! Takes my total of weight loss to around 70kgs not including all the carbon cannister and stuff i stripped out from the front as i didnt weigh that before binning it. I need to get it weighed soon in its current state.

Hoping for around 1230kg? Shouldnt be too much to ask for should it? Very base model saloon 1.8T with what i`ve taken out should hit that figure surely.

Not yet. Need the work done down the unit then need some pads. Then I can think about hitting Bedford. Ideally I'd like a front mount before hand but that's not going to happen so will concentrate on pads as thats the last main factor. Ill just have to deal with heatsoak and limit the time out on track a bit more than I would with one. You had any luck with finding new wheels yet?

Not yet. Need the work done down the unit then need some pads. Then I can think about hitting Bedford. Ideally I'd like a front mount before hand but that's not going to happen so will concentrate on pads as thats the last main factor. Ill just have to deal with heatsoak and limit the time out on track a bit more than I would with one. You had any luck with finding new wheels yet?

I'm currently running black TT wheels with some filthy cheap rubber on. They're so bad I can get all 4 wheels spinning in the wet!

I need to do my 500 miles oil change, fit the inner CV boot, get 4 wheel aligned, then visit Bill for some remap tweak, move house, then think about doin Bedford ;)

Lol probably still get all that done before im ready. Looking on Javelin there's some new Bedford days added but early book at £179!? F that when it's usually £119ish early book. May have to look elsewhere for cheaper and leave Bedford until like November or something when it's cheap. Cadwell keeps tempting me and Blyton is a nice little track. Small but it's cheap and loads of people seem to really like it.

To be honest i didnt even prime it lol. Just cleaned it, sanded the chrome down until it was a dull grey instead of shiney, cleaned it off and sprayed it up and laquered it. Problem with sprayed grilles is they chip so easily. I`ve had to repsray it again since i first did it and i`ve got another big chip in it now. I`ll just touch it up with black marker though as i cant be bothered to do it again and i wouldnt mind an RS4 grille instead of the normal slatted grille.

To be honest i didnt even prime it lol. Just cleaned it, sanded the chrome down until it was a dull grey instead of shiney, cleaned it off and sprayed it up and laquered it. Problem with sprayed grilles is they chip so easily. I`ve had to repsray it again since i first did it and i`ve got another big chip in it now. I`ll just touch it up with black marker though as i cant be bothered to do it again and i wouldnt mind an RS4 grille instead of the normal slatted grille.

I tried a sprayed grill then got it professionally painted when I had some bodywork done but they both chipped. Had mine wrapped in matt black since last year and it's still going strong :thumbsup:

Lol will keep an eye on it although i bet it goes for spastic money especially as its genuine! The non gen ones on ebay are like 40quid buy it now so this will only go higher i expect. Steering wheel may be added to the watch list too lol.

I take it the wheel would fit mine. A 98 to a 98 should be fine?

Its the 4 spoke and the centre ring around the audi badge has loads of little holes ie the same style as the wheel you`re selling.

Fitted RS4 engine mounts this morning. Was getting fed up of the slop when letting off the accelerator and the amount of wobble causing the exhaust to hit the tunnel brace when pulling away and so on. It was either those or I looked at 034 track density mounts but it was about $260 with postage but I'd have to pay import tax too. At cost the RS4 mounts were £145 a pair and I can get them overnight from our Audi branch down the road. Immediately you can feel the extra vibration but it's not bad really but I don't really care especially with the car half stripped out anyway and fixed bucket seat so comfort isn't something I'm bothered about. Slop on letting off is 90% gone and there's no more knocking I had before. Before pushing down on the inlet the engine would sink probably 15-20mm but it's been reduced to about 10mm maybe at most. This was with standard mounts with probably less than 4k miles and about a year old so relatively fresh in terms of what most peoples mounts probably are.

Dont have pics as they just look like normal mounts lol.

All in all pretty good on the way home from work. Joys of using a ramp and a transmission jack. I did both sides in around 30minutes.

From here I'll probably get the 034 track density gearbox mounts and their poly snub mount and bin off the RS4 snub and year old gearbox mounts later in the year maybe depending on if I finish everything else I want to get done.

Another not to amazing update but had the S4 solid TRE`s fitted last friday and had it tracked up/aligned too at Unit18. I`ll stick up a picture of the print out tomorrow. Ali said it was probably one of the straightest rear beams he`s ever seen which was nice to know lol. Around -1.3 camber on the front and 0.11 toe in with just over 4 on the caster.

337daba6.jpg

Also before i got to the unit i called into a scrap metal place that had a public weighbridge. Stuck it on and got a reading of 1220kgs which i was fairly happy with. So means i`ve shed nearly 100kgs so far. Probably aim to get under 1200 without going crazy and stay there for a while. Again i`ll get a print out of that tomorrow.

Jason

I am breaking a saloon A4 2000 1.8T Sport facelift in red with sports tailgate (ie with rear spolier) and facelift lights etc.. If you need any parts send me a PM.