How long does it take to replace wheel bearings on a B5 Quattro?

Tom_B

Reaction score
Grindy wheel bearing starting to get on my thrupenny bits, is it complex to do? will it take a propa mechanic one hour? two?

thanks,

Tom

front? Back?

Few hours max, depending on stuck bolts and pressing the bearing in and out of the upright or hub. Pretty much the same time either front or rear

On a quattro the rear and front bearings are one piece and really need a press to fit/remove. A 2wd is dead easy with a hammer and a punch

Thanks for the replies - its the rear bearings ona quattro

Need to do one on my car, again rear on quattro. As far as I know hub assembly needs to come off so you can get it pressed out, which means disconnecting ABS sensor, upper arm bolt, CV hub bolt, etc. Pretty sure it can't be done in situ?

sorry to invade this thread guys but what is the tightening procedure on a b5 1.8tsport rear bearing ( FWD / none quatro ) thank you

I generally nip them up until you can only just move the big washer behind the nut with a screwdriver and that does it.

ye thats what i got told by a friend to do and have done and seems to be ok (quiet and no nasty noises or vibrations ) just prefer peace off mind espeshily as i carry my 3yr old in car,,,, thanks :thumbsup: