Once there was wood

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I've thought about removing the wood for ages but could never make up my mind on what I wanted and did not want to spend out for new trim if I was not 100% sure.

I got a sample of matt black wrap and glass black wrap to wrap my trim and see what I thought.

I wrapped the rears in matt
69e61b65.jpg

and the front in gloss.
817f6165.jpg

Going to spend a couple of days driving it as it is and see what I think.
The dash is still wood.

Beh that reminds me i need to pull my finger out and finish mine off. I have a spare set of ally ones that i started prepping and painting gloss black. Then winter came along.

Very nice Scott I really need to do something like this with mine as all mine are carbon fibre look but the rear passenger door one is quite scratched and it drives me mad, this is the only pic I have of mine at the moment but if you can see the colour properly could someone advise me where I can get the same colour wrap please
DSC00015.jpg

Matt blends in, gloss black stands out, depends what you want, gotta say I'm liking the gloss black !! :w00t:

love the matt black scott makes it very subtle indeed

Beh that reminds me i need to pull my finger out and finish mine off. I have a spare set of ally ones that i started prepping and painting gloss black. Then winter came along.
Painting? Wrap it. These took me less than half a day and I had no idea what I was doing.

Very nice Scott I really need to do something like this with mine as all mine are carbon fibre look but the rear passenger door one is quite scratched and it drives me mad, this is the only pic I have of mine at the moment but if you can see the colour properly could someone advise me where I can get the same colour wrap please
DSC00015.jpg
You can get wrap in carbon colour/design.

Matt blends in, gloss black stands out, depends what you want, gotta say I'm liking the gloss black !! :w00t:
That my thinking and gloss is keeping in with gloss the original wood.

I've thought about removing the wood for ages but could never make up my mind on what I wanted and did not want to spend out for new trim if I was not 100% sure.

I got a sample of matt black wrap and glass black wrap to wrap my trim and see what I thought.

I wrapped the rears in matt
69e61b65.jpg

and the front in gloss.
817f6165.jpg

Going to spend a couple of days driving it as it is and see what I think.
The dash is still wood.

I cant decide what i like best scott, there both nice if im honest.

audiv6quattro: That isnt carbon, looks more like fishscale that the early cars had as standard. My A4 breaker has it i think?

Gloss black was an option on late cars like the RS4, so its OEM+.

Scott, can you do a bit of a howto? i tried wrapping my grille a while ago and made a bit of an **** of it and gave up.

Scott, can you do a bit of a howto? i tried wrapping my grille a while ago and made a bit of an **** of it and gave up.

Buy wrap.
Remove trim from door.
Cut wrap to rough size of trim.
Clean trim.
Stick wrap to trim making sure to smooth out surfaces to remove air bubbles and creases.
Heat up corners with hair dryer and pull wrap tight to help remove creases. That's basically what I did.

I have taken pictures and will post them up tomorrow.

Cheers for that info aragorn I allways thought it had a carbon fibre look , I'll have a look for some fishscale wrap then

Mat finish looks much better, the gloss seems to be too in your face! Subtle mods are best, gets people thinking....there's something different but I dont know what!!

Must say, even having OE carbon fibre myself, i think the matte look is a winner Scott.

Just that little bit different and a bit classier i think, really depends if thats what you want thou, or get some Burberry check on it bruv!:o.k:

No idea what look I'm going for or what I want.
I just wanted to try something else and see what I thought of it with out the wood.

I'm really unsure, I can't make my mind up.

I'm going to stick with a dark colour.
Not a fan of brightish colours in side. I find them distracting.

Thinking about losing the chrome.

Hmm the stuff i got was Avery brand, i might actually have some left, but i found it hopeless to work with.

The 3M is lovely. You need to push down bit harder to get it stick but using a cotton gloves and hair dryer makes it a lot easier.

Looks lovely mate, much better than the wood in my opinion.

Thanks mate.
I like the wood but the black is a winner but can make my mind up on gloss or matt.

liking the gloss personally scott!
going to have and give this a go!, was going to try carbon wrap but the plain gloss looks so much better and correct!
are you going to do the dash strip?
if so let me know how you manage to remove this one!
a "how to" on this wouldn"t go a miss scotty dog!
well done by the way :salute:

liking the gloss personally scott!
going to have and give this a go!, was going to try carbon wrap but the plain gloss looks so much better and correct!
are you going to do the dash strip?
if so let me know how you manage to remove this one!
a "how to" on this wouldn"t go a miss scotty dog!
well done by the way :salute:

Once I've decided when I want and finish off the others I'll get one up.

As for the dash trim. I'll take spook but I'm stripping the dash out in April, so I'll do it then if it's to hard before.

The doors was easy, just loads of little clip.

Dash needs the glovebox out, and the complete centre console loosened, so you can access the last 2 clips above that, time consuming but removing the stereo also can help with the fiddly bits!

Matt wins.
Gloss is nice but the subtleness of the matt is just a lot nicer and fits in with dash.

Aragorn, if you want my gloss trims in exchange for none gloss or any one let me know.

Ah gotcha, yeh i can dig the two front trims out and stick em in the post for ya. Drop me a PM with the details!

Nice one Scott, looking much better. Can't decide which though, like both!

Same here warren, all i willsay is that it looks better than the wood trim, more modern.

How much gloss is a little bit? ;)

Dug my trims out, theres a couple of tiny dinks on the drivers trim, but i suspect it wont be visible at all once wrapped.

I'll get them packaged up, if you let me know your address.

Last edited:
How much gloss is a little bit? ;)

Dug my trims out, theres a couple of tiny dinks on the drivers trim, but i suspect it wont be visible at all once wrapped.

I'll get them packaged up, if you let me know your address.

Depends on what you want wrapped.

The trouble with wrap (from what I've read) is that the little holes or dimples will show up cause air gets underneath and lift the wrap.
If they are little, could I get away with some light sand papering?

I'll PM you now.

It looks like someones tapped it with the tip of a car key or similar, at various points over the surface. The passenger one seems to have some less visible marks too.

I think because its aluminium its pretty soft and therefore dents fairly easily.

I can always post them over and you can see what you think. If they're not going to work then just send em back.

It looks like someones tapped it with the tip of a car key or similar, at various points over the surface. The passenger one seems to have some less visible marks too.

I think because its aluminium its pretty soft and therefore dents fairly easily.

I can always post them over and you can see what you think. If they're not going to work then just send em back.

That will work. No harm in trying is there.

Last edited:
I used the last of the matt up on my centre console.
I did the top, the middle and the ash tray.
It should hopefully match the dash trim when I get round to doing it.

You can't really tell and it don't help the picture is rubbish!!

IMAG0248.jpg

mines also wrapped in the 3m wrap but its secretely orange underneath but was a little to much inside and out :D