Dropping MPG

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
Evenin all.
Ok so I know the DIS is not that accurate but the average figure is on a downward trend from just over a constant 34 down to 32 and still slowly dropping. This is confirmed by me doing the same journeys every week with same driving style and having to fuel up a day earlier than normal.
I scanned it the other week and got 'Lambda no activity intermittent'. I took the sparks out for a check and they seem fine with less than 10k on them.
Is it likely to be a failing Lamda or could that code be thrown up by something else?
Thanks for any help as always :)
Si.

slowly failing maf possible have you used a ebay scanner or proper vagcom m8

Proper vagcom mate. Just to add, engine is running very well and smooth just now too with no other issues. No fuel smell or anything like that.

I had poor MPG and lambda faults, so I replaced the lambdas with FAE items from ECP. Every couple of months my mpg drops, scan the car and lambdas showing no activity on bank 1 & 2, so clear the codes and the MPG returns to normal for a couple of months then it'll do it again for some reason?

IF you're going to replace the lambda, buy a genuine Bosch item!

Dan

Yeh its probably a lambda fault.

I'm impressed you can get 34mpg from a quattro though, neither of mine will do anywhere near that. The missus usually does a lot of town driving and its lucky to get much above 24mpg typically. Mine does more motorway runs, but even then the best i've ever had was 32, and it typically returns just under 30. You can see the long term averages for both cars in my sig.

My dis shows I get between 9-18 mpg sometimes I'm lucky and get 220 mpg....... I think mines broke for some reason, but the average is allways the same 18mpg I've actually tested it if I put £15 fuel in I get around 50miles, really need to get it sorted but with it being a v6 there's 2 lambdas to buy so it'll have to wait, but yours does sound like a lambda issue, hope you get it sorted though

I wish mine showed what yours shows lol, I get 4.2 mpg if I plant it so I get 4.2 all the time ; )

Thanks for the replies. I guess I better find me a Lambda then. A quick look found me Just Lambda, Suppliers of zirconia and titania lambda sensors by post but £78! For a proper Bosch one. Anyone know of Bosch for cheaper??

I can't really comment on the fuel figures because I'm just going off the DIS but I don't think it's too far out. The last time I could afford to brim the tank so I could work it out properly I think it was indeed around the 34mpg figure but that was driving like a pussy and motorway miles mainly also.
Cheers :)