S4 Quattro vibration

adidasandy

Reaction score
Ok, I bought a S4 B5 Quattro last week, on test drive it had a vibration about 75mph so I slowed down to about 50 it then disappeared and only happens every so often. My mate who's car it was said the rear prop bush or something are prone on Quattro's. Any info would be great.

Andy

wheres the vibration coming from which might gives us a clue, eg is it from the steering wheel, the front end or the whole car etc?

least this will give you a clue to where to start looking or us helping you

What's the mileage? I think the driveshaft centre support bearing can wear from what I've read. Also rule out worn wheel bearings or goosed tie-rods.

it's a 98 quattro with 95000 miles on the clock. Vibration is deffo from the rear. I think it's the prop damper from what I've read but how do I check it?. Will look in morning, service Wednesday and RR saturday.

Right, just been under car to inspect the prop etc, removed heat shield to find that prop looks brand new as it even has the Audi sticker with the part number on. No movement in rear and none at front but the centre carrier does move up/down quite alot but the rubber isn't split. Does anyone know how much play there should be in the centre carrier?

ANdy

Just bought a centre carrier bearing from USA, 034 motorsport, the reviews are fantastic.

It could be movement in the rear diff caused by a worn rear diff mount or the carrier bushes.

how deep is the tone of the vibration?
can you get a video of it?

Diff mounts are nw and RR this Saturday so will video it on way down.
Andy