NEWBIE with a LIST

king84

Spartacus
Reaction score
Ok.... So i'm a newbie here. Originally from the Mazda247 world, but I wanted to try something new. I just bought a used 1997' 2.8 A4 (Qauttro/5Speed). I have a few things on the "laundry list" that I need to fix or figure out:
  • Adapter or deck to enable Ipod/iphone integration, but currently have a factory (Bose) radio with 6 CD Changer and mini amp in the trunk.
  • Looking for front passenger side door lower trim molding, not the whole set.
  • The best exhaust and header brands to look into for 97 2.8 Quattro, not 1.8.
  • Windshield washers are inop.
  • Power Steering pump noisy and leaking.
  • Left outer tie rod end wearing out.
  • Rear Differential side seals leaking.
  • Missing belly pan, but i doubt ill ever need it.
  • Looking to lower height.
  • Broken hood latch handle.
  • stock wheels are eh...ok i guess, but I'm sure there's better.
  • DAYTIME Running lights are a NO NO. Need help removing that feature.
  • K&N filters....... or keep it stock? I had a K&N on my old mazda and never had an issue....but I know i can't apply the same rule to my A4.
ANY SUGGESTIONS.......please feel free to respond or message me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom_B
Firstly, welcome to the board. :racer:

Reading your post would indicate you're from over the pond. As best as I can advise bearing this in mind;
  • Adapter or deck to enable Ipod/iphone integration, but currently have a factory (Bose) radio with 6 CD Changer and mini amp in the trunk. - Fit aftermarket deck and bypass Bose amp, add own system and amps as you desire
  • Looking for front passenger side door lower trim molding, not the whole set. - Parts are still available from main dealer for sensible money here in the UK I would expect this to be the smae where you are
  • The best exhaust and header brands to look into for 97 2.8 Quattro, not 1.8. - Never looked at exhaust swaps for the 2.8, sorry
  • Windshield washers are inop. - Any noise from pump or whole system dead?
  • Power Steering pump noisy and leaking. - Replace with a new or good used pump
  • Left outer tie rod end wearing out. - Replace with new item and check all other ball joints on the front of the car as these can be problematic. Replace any parts with O/E quality items
  • Rear Differential side seals leaking. - Replace with new, renew fluid whilst there
  • Missing belly pan, but i doubt ill ever need it. - Don't worry about it
  • Looking to lower height. - Good quality springs on stock dampers if they are in good condition. Best bet is renew with proper dampers and springs or coilovers, depends on what you want to do with the car and your budget
  • Broken hood latch handle. - Second hand item sourced from a breakers
  • stock wheels are eh...ok i guess, but I'm sure there's better. - Take your pick, loads of options. Only limit is your imagination and budget
  • DAYTIME Running lights are a NO NO. Need help removing that feature. - We don't have them in the UK so can't comment on how to remove them, sorry
  • K&N filters....... or keep it stock? I had a K&N on my old mazda and never had an issue....but I know i can't apply the same rule to my A4. - K&N's are ok but as with any oiled filter they will typically cause fouling to the MAF. I put up with this and simply clean my MAF every couple of months with an electrical contact cleaner.