Gearbox swap.

Arrkon

Back in a "B"
Staff member
Regional Rep
Reaction score
As most of you will know. I'm running a fwd apu engine 1.8t. My question is, what 6spd box (if any) would fit, and what other bits would be needed? (linkages etc)

Thanks all.

Mark did it with a 6speed 2.5 TDI box, but IMO the gearing isnt great, being setup for a TDI that only revs to 4500rpm the gears are much longer. I find the standard 1.8T FWD box is waay to long as it is, going from my quattro to my mums chipped 1.8T FWD (which IS faster than the quattro being lighter and having the same power) the FWD just feels flat and unresponsive when driving normally because every gear is so long.

The only other possibility would be a 01E from a 1.8T B6, but i've never looked too closely at the gearing on one of those, and i'd expect the box to be rare and expensive.

01e300048k? theres one on the bay for £250, though its a 4Motion passat one.

or 01E 301 211 C for £289?

You really need the three digit box code, rather than the part number, as the part number typically relates to each part of the box, ie casing, tailhousing etc.

Quattro/4motion box wouldnt work in a FWD application, it might if you welded up the centre diff though, but i've no idea if the tail of the box will fit in a FWD transmission tunnel.

dont do it.... i put a 6 speed box on my old a3 18t i had before and dissapointed wasnt the word!! it was so much slower and less responsive!! asif someone had taken the remap off!! not a good mod :(

Will heed your advice, it just seems that 3-4k on the motorway is a bit excessive, was hoping to get down to nearer 2-2.5k

Get a diesel.

IF you get a auto you'll very really see over 3k.
Or over 30mph, Id rather get a moped for good fuel than a diesel automatic.... could you imagine how boring to drive they'd be!! lol :lazy:

Last edited:
Or over 30mph, Id rather get a moped for good fuel than a diesel automatic.... could you imagine how boring to drive they'd be!! lol :lazy:

Mine seems to be ok and quick enough to get me to 75, flick cruise on and relax.
It will do over a ton easily if needed.

I wonder if I could fitter a newer 5speed box to it, make it even more boring and better MPG.

Mine seems to be ok and quick enough to get me to 75, flick cruise on and relax.
It will do over a ton easily if needed.

I wonder if I could fitter a newer 5speed box to it, make it even more boring and better MPG.
you could swap it out but its a big job, my mate done a bmw e30 estate he bought and it was alot of work.. i had a 330ci steptronic before i bought my s3 and being auto that thing was herrendous on fuel!! litteraly £20 ever time you drove it anywhere... althoughit was nice in traffic etc i missed having a clutch..

P.S i didnt mean to offened you if thats how it sounded :)

you could swap it out but its a big job, my mate done a bmw e30 estate he bought and it was alot of work.. i had a 330ci steptronic before i bought my s3 and being auto that thing was herrendous on fuel!! litteraly £20 ever time you drove it anywhere... althoughit was nice in traffic etc i missed having a clutch..

P.S i didnt mean to offened you if thats how it sounded :)

Nahh it's cool. im just very protective of her :)
I'd never lose the auto box but I would like a 5 speed tronic box.

Nahh it's cool. im just very protective of her :)
I'd never lose the auto box but I would like a 5 speed tronic box.
did they not do one in them then? anythings possible.... stick an s8 step in it ;)

5spd tronic box, and add flappy paddles :lmfao: was planning on that if i bought a 2.5V6D... later rs4 wheel etc.... should be easy enough

I have always though the 5th in the TQS is a bit short,
would be nice if it dropped by 5-700 revs when cruising on the motorway.

Without a remap I would drop it into 4th for overtaking changing lanes anyway but to be sitting at 4.5k is a bit noisy with a 3"DP and 2.75" eexhaust!

how hard is it to swap out one cog to a "slightly" longer one?

I didnt find it that bad for cruising, it was just off boost at 70 but drop down and off she went. It was never meant to be used as a gear for anything bar cruising. I find myself reaching for 6th all the time in the TQS

I didnt find it that bad for cruising, it was just off boost at 70 but drop down and off she went. It was never meant to be used as a gear for anything bar cruising. I find myself reaching for 6th all the time in the TQS
me too... and then i find it :beee:haha

the TQS 5th is shorter than a standard 1.8T FWD though.

3500rpm is ~80 in a TQS, but in a FWD its closer to 3k.

jcb: For a TQS you can use a 2.8 V6 box to lengthen out the gears a bit.

I have graphs of the various gearing if people want to see it visually?

Last edited:
meh, Mine was fine, despite what the graphs say. was just under 2.7k at 70 iirc in 6th. OVERDRIVE baby !!! lol

the TQS 5th is shorter than a standard 1.8T FWD though.

3500rpm is ~80 in a TQS, but in a FWD its closer to 3k.

jcb: For a TQS you can use a 2.8 V6 box to lengthen out the gears a bit.

I have graphs of the various gearing if people want to see it visually?

get the graphs up. Worth a view.

Ok i'd lost the original spreadsheet, but i've remade it with the data for four boxes.

DWR = 1.8T Quattro
DHW = 1.8T FWD
DSY = S4 Quattro
DQS = 2.5 TDI FWD

I'll do another one tomorrow comparing the V6 5speed boxes with the 1.8T boxes and take the two 6 speed boxes out.

I was going to plot the ratios for the 1.8T 6 speed from the B6, but its 6th gear is actually shorter than the 5th on the 1.8T FWD box.

gearboxcomparisons.png

Reactions: sedefcha