calling OEM turbo experts

jcb

Reaction score
what is the largest OEM longitudinal KKK turbo?
RS6?
Ko4?

what are the options for picking up crapped out turbos and cobbling together a larger hybrid?

there is a chance i have a soon to be dead turbo having ingested a spark plug electrode and now sounding like a constipated duck!
I have a few people locally that have dead turbos and some with cracked housings, if I can pick up some cheap ones, find one with a decent CHRA and replace some bearings, seals etc.
how tricky would it be to produce something that would be larger than stock for flow and A/R ?

I have stripped a few turbos but in theory if you pull turbines and compressors off the shafts and match them to housings I am thinking it wouldnt be too tricky to match a better flowing turbine housing from RS6 or similar and mate it with a bigger compressor housing .

I can afford to play around with compressor housings from transverse engines and mod an inlet mani, cant afford to be messing with mani and downpipes.....

I never managed to sell my Eurodyne mapped ECU and 630cc file/injectors so I am thinking if I can pull together something that will sustain a bit more boost and not breach a late 200-300bhp I will get away with running stock rods and slap it on the downpipe I have.

dont mind swallowing a bit of cost but this is a budget option!

Theres a thread over on the 8L section detailing exactly this. "Hybrid Turbocharger Build" i think its called.

Basically exactly as you've said, you can pillage larger parts and cobble them together, and this is more or less exactly what the hybrid builders do. The turbine housing will need machined out to take the larger turbine, as the transverse/RS6 ones wont bolt onto your existing manifold, and the compressor will also either need machined out or replaced with a different item depending what parts you choose.

I've been considering putting together a hybrid using an S3 turbine and compressor wheel, machined out A4 turbine housing, and S3 compressor housing and backplate.

Alternatively, Mark (Byzan_A4) has just removed a hybrid from his car, so perhaps he'd be willing to sell you that for a bolt in minimal hassle solution?

Why not just get a k04 and a rs4 compressor housing and do something similar to the loba/frankenturbo hybrid if your committed to it ??

Well that is what I am thinking
Frankenturbo is $1000 and from what I can see I am only going to get another 40-60bhp, seems a bit pricey bang per buck.

I can get a warrantied recon Ko4 for less than £200

I am just not up on the various specs of the turbos. I know the KO4 is on the TT/S3/LCR/RS6 but its getting the right frame for the longi platform

TBH machining is not that expensive

my next issue is the mapped ECU I have is for 630cc injectors and a 4" MAF that can take anything up to a 3071 sized turbo.
If I ran a "Ko4+" sized unit on that map I reckon on a conservative estimate I would only be pushing the injectors to 50-60+% duty on moderate boost. being ariflow based it can adapt to any turbo so I am not sure that is a major issue, but would certainly keep my costs down!

I also have an option of a T3/T4 unit going for super cheap, I just dont want to be ******* around using a fabricator for a custom Downpipe as that will get pricey.

where can you get K04 with warranty at £200 ?

Their a bit poor I'm lead to believe. Bad quality materials and not well balanced so vibrate themselves to bits rather quickly.