TDI engine noise

jimmp

Reaction score
Hello team,

I'll start straight away by saying that I don't own a B5, I own an 8L. I tried very hard to own a B5 but couldn't find a TDI quattro so I got a facelifted '02 5 door 8L TDI quattro instead.

I've got a sound coming from the engine; brought on by the recent cold which isn't so much a whining as a rattling bearing type noise. How much TDI knowledge is ther in the B5 world? I'm asking this here, as you see 10 B5 TDIs for every 1 8L TDI and the 8L forum seems to be 98% S3 chat.

Given the ubiquity of the B5 TDI, does anyone know immediately that this will be a certain tensioner or something like that? Is there a classic TDI issue?

It's got 99K on it and I had the aux belt done in the summer. Timing belt not due until "125K" apparently...

Thankyou in advance

JimP

If the noise is immediately present, you could try removing the Auxiliary belt that drives the alternator and whatnot. That way if the noise goes away you've narrowed it down to that driveline, and if it stays then that rules them out and points more at the timing belt tensioners or water pump.

hey- that's a great start thankyou guys...

it's being investigated today...