How to replace sidelight bulb holders (Image Heavy)

rossbrownlee

Ross_S4
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello all.
I noticed a post recently regarding this issue, which I also had on my S4.
It appears though the bulb holders were getting embrittled whether it be through heat or age I don;t know however one of my sidelights couldn't sit in the holder as it had cracked and broken. MOT time is coming up so I decided to take a punt and bought two of the A4 bulb holders from the local dealer to see if they fit. Luckily they did and it is an easy repair.
See photos below:

1 - What the good bulb holder should look like
1goodoriginal.jpg

2 - What the damaged one looked like
2badoriginal.jpg

3 - What the new holders look like and part no
3bulbholder.jpg

4 - The heat shrinkable crimp connectors I used (hey, I was going for quick and easy. Obviously you can solder and heatshrink something much neater)
4heatshrinkcrimps.jpg

5 - I have used these crimps before and they have a glue type stuff inside the shroud part which gives a good seal onto the wire insulation as can be seen here
5shrunkandglued.jpg

6 - Crimped and shrunk on the bulb side, basically saving time as it was freeeezing outside and nice and cosy inside.
6crimpedtails.jpg

7 - How it looks when fitted but before dressing wires into the housing. I just snipped off the old connectors then crimped on. Take note, it is easier to disconnect the full beam connector too as it gives you more slack on the tails.
7fitted.jpg

8 - You then end up with a bulb holder for the wedge type sidelight bulbs (i think are they W5W?) and there are a decent selection of standard or LED bulbs you can use.
8bladeclips.jpg

That's all folks. Pretty easy and much much better than buying a new headlight unit!

Nice writeup.

I think you can get the "proper" bulbholder for the S4, but you need to order it as a part for an Audi TT.

They used the round halogen bulb on the S4 in an attempt to stop the sidelights looking so yellow against the HID's. With modern LED replacements, using a wedge LED is probably just as good though.

Hi Ross_S4 Just trawling through the search and found this post from way back, but can;t see the images any more,
Out of interest did you do all this with the headlight unit in the car?