A4 B5 TDi Starting problem

frenchuk

Reaction score
Got a few issues with my Audi, which thanks to this forum I have sussed out the problems! I'm going to be getting some Mr Muscle at the weekend! And an EGR plate!

However I am struggling on my starting issue. I have replaced everything in the pre start system. So glow plugs, glow plug relay, temp switch in the cooling system. I haven't replace the battery but it doesn't drop below 10V when cranking.

The glow plug comes on in the dash for four seconds then when cranking it turns over for 15 secs then it fires on a couple of cylinders and finally splutters into life. Could it be the battery? Is there any way to test this other than buying a new one?! Struggling on what left to do. Is it possible it could be the fuel pump or injectors? It only happens when cold, however even when warm it doesn't fire instantly like my previous TDi's have.

ANY help will be much appreciated! This forum is ****** useful, I'm so glad I've found it!

Also could be the egr valve causing poor start I'd be waiting till you blank it off before you do any further checks i would also just double check the feed to each of the glow plugs.

Ok I'll wait until I do the egr valve then. With the kit on eBay does that do away with the entire egr system or do the plates just go in between the faces?

I've checked the feed to each glow plug, I think it's all ok, but might check it again! I've also had a new Cam belt and I think they double checked fuel pump timing then, so it shouldn't be that.

It's a 1.9 TDi.

Right I got the car back from the garage today who had it in for MOT. I drove it home in clouds of smoke! What could that be?

It is smokey most of the time, but when you put the foot down it gets ridiculously so. The car also likes to over rev when you put your foot down, like its getting stuck. It will sometimes stay at the same rev as I finished excellerating, so 2500-300 but sometimes revs up to 4000 maybe more. It sounded a bit more clattery but other than that no symptoms.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm going to call the AA out in a bit but wanted to see if any one on here could help first?

If its over revving it could be the turbo seals have gone and it's throwing oil into the intake also would give you a big cloud of smoke out the exhaust but also the egr can cause it to smoke more than it should.

If I was in your position id be blanking off the egr both sides with a coke can cut to block both sides of the egr and sandwiched between the fixingsand giving a quick run to see what improvements this does.

Thank you for your quick response bradderz. I have just looked under the bonnet and it looks like there is loads of oil around the turbo do unfortunately looks like the more expensive problem of the seals on the turbo!

I found a kit for 75 quid to recon the turbo is this worth it or should I just be getting a new one... If so then I'll be scrapping the car because I only bought it for 600 quid!

If your confident enough and the kits decent then do it.

Or you could send the turbo somewhere to be reconditioned or find a decent used turbo.

Its entirely up to you but you'd get what £150-£250 scrap value or you could do one of the above and probably sell it for what you paid for it if the cars not worth keeping that is.

It will more likely be a boost leak of some sort causing it. Have a close look around all of the rubber pipes, when they split the car runs "richer" and tends to smoke. It's very unlikely that seals have failed causing oil to spill outside of the turbo. Oil in the intake pipes or exhaust is the norm

Right, the AA man was about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

However I checked the oil the other day and it was OK. When he checked it, there was no oil. So all the symptoms are leading to a knackered turbo.

What does any one else think?!

Hi guys, thank you for all your help.

I limped the car up to the garage this morning! It went absolutely berserk on the way there, to the point were it was redlining, and all I could do to stop it was stall it! So it turns out it was the turbo afterall. I am going to lay it up for a while, and borrow a car while I find the money either to buy a new one and flog this on as spares / repairs or get the parts to repair it.

Thank you again for all your help.

Will

Yeh you were on the verge of runaway there, and it was a good job you had the sense to stall it, it you hadnt you'd have a totalled engine!

Unlike a petrol engine, diesels will happily burn engine oil, so when the seals on the turbocharger let go, it'll run on the oil leaking into the inlet rather than the fuel. Once its "run away" like that, you can shut the key off completely, and it'll just keep revving until it either blows itself to bits or uses up all the oil and siezes.

Few weeks ago i saw a pretty new 1 series at the side of the road in the distance, with the driver and passengers all standing on the pavement and the car belching clouds of smoke. By the time the line of traffic i was in got up to the beemer it had already stopped, no doubt with a wrecked engine. Had they had the sense to stall the engine when it first started to run away then it'd probably just have needed a new turbo and it'd be fine again.

I've seen it done many off times at work when someone's doing a forced regeneration on the **** particle filter systems and the oil has been over the max line and the cars just picked up out of no where and lucky they stall it in time lol