1.9 tdi 110 loses power sometimes

tara_nta

Reaction score
I have a 1999 a4 tdi, for example when I join a bypass from second gear, bury my foot to the floor and go up through the gears, by the time I'm ready to go into fifth I've lost turbo power. It still drives but it's as if the turbo stops working. If I dip the clutch and flick the engine off, give it a second and start it again it's absolutely fine!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Stick vanes in the turbo is fairly common, could also be a dodgy MAF or a boost/vac leak. You can get a fuel treatment to help with the stick vanes. This is all speculation though and your best bet would be to get it scanned for fault codes

Now you say boost leak/vac lines, my vac lines look like the originals and don't look to be in the best condition. Will change all vac lines for fuel hose. Sticky turbo vanes............is that a turbo off job?

Well turbo off and clean is the ultimate answer. But like I said, check for codes if you haven't already?

I had similar symptoms on my transit van, I thought the turbo was shot. Turns out it was just water in the fuel filter. Quick visit to the garage and next day it was back good as new.

MAF is common thing to go spastic on VAG diesels. Actually, it's common on most diesels lol.

Just had a service inc fuel filter, for now I'll change vac lines and get a MAF. After that I'll have a go at doing the turbo
Cheers for the advice

MAF is common thing to go spastic on VAG diesels. Actually, it's common on most diesels lol.

Maf is common to go wrong on anything with a maf I'm afraid. I read somewhere they only read reliably for 2 years, and they are a sod to test which makes things worse