Warm Aircon? Regassing

deano16v

Reaction score
my aircon/CC is very inconsistent. on "LO" sometimes its no different to 22 and sometimes its colder, but is never cold really. Does it just need regassing?? please say thats all it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Thats what mine needed last summer.

Set it to 18 degrees and it was not that cold so i tried my mates mums TT and set it to 18 and was a lot cooler than mine. So took it in to Edinburgh Audi and they regassed it and it was sooooooooooo much colder. They said it needs done every 3 or 4 years.

Hope this helps a bit.

ta, theres a place at the top of my road that does it fairly cheap so i'll get it booked in. had to drive with the windows open at the weekend to get a breeze to keep cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I don't know how good it is, but i saw a can of refridgerant top up on Ebay for £20. Its the same as the one used on AW in the how 2, i recon it could be worth a go....... or not

to be honest mate i'd rather pay more money and get it all done properly etc. bit of piece of mind too that way

it needs to be drained, (vacumed out) then oil put in with the new refrigerant..

the A4 takes about 700 grames..

we charge £90 for a vacume and recharge with dye and oil

the dye is there to check for leaks.

Andy

Mine needs doing too. It must have a leak as it was refilled last autumn. I'm told B5 A4s have a known 'leak point' somewhere behind the dash - can anyone confirm this?

Mine has had every part replace over the last 3 years (compressor, dryer, heat exchanger etc) and finaly I haven't needed a regas for over a year. The bit behind the dash is the heat exchanger, which was the last bit they replaced. They all start to leak eventually as they use rubber/plasic pipework. If they used metal, like a fridge, then they should last 20 years.

mine seems fine altough i've noticed if you put in on 18 it blows out a lof of cold air, whilst putinng it on a low fan speed and LO blows out freezing air. seems that audi must have thought people who want the temp at 18 must want a wind tunnel inside their car too! anyone else have this?

one other thing i've noticed is that if it's rather damp outside, ie rain, then when you've had the aircon on for a while a lot of the moisture condenses on the parts. But then when you get back in the car and switch the aircon off, ie economy mode, the windows start to steam up as the moisture that was removed is reintroudced. anyone know a cure for this?

the "thing" behind the dash is the evaporator and its metal and so is the pipework.

its a nasty job to change it and is usually the weak point on the system

parts wise its about £290 ish IIRC! fitting is from 6 hrs upwards depending which way you do it...

the official way is to remove the dash!

Andy
GDI

I know this becuase I have done 1!

[ QUOTE ]
But then when you get back in the car and switch the aircon off, ie economy mode, the windows start to steam up as the moisture that was removed is reintroudced. anyone know a cure for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, don't turn it off!

lol!! i'm sure it used more fuel up though? does it operate on one of those variable clutches so as to save fuel? do they all do this steaming up or is my evaporator faulty?!

It does use more fuel, but only very slightly (unless it's a hot day).
If it's a damp day then my windows steam up if I've got the cc turned off. CC takes the moisture out of the air before it enters the car even when on very low. If you have a faulty system then the windows wil steam up with it on or off.

well if i have the aircon off then it doesn't steam up, unless very damp in which case I just press vent up and knock the fan up to clear it.
if i have the aircon on then it doesn't steam up at all and clears the whole cars windows.
however if i have the aircon on for a while and then switch it off, then my windows start to steam up.

That's a bit of a generalisation. It all depends how hot it is and whether you're stuck in traffic or speeding down the motorway.

I've also been advised to keep Aircon / CC on (even thorugh winter with hot air) because after log periods of time, mildew can accumulate on the pipes and in the system, then when it's turned on, there is a foul smell that's circulated and to get rid, the system has to be regassed / cleaned out.

I believe there is some truth in this as my wife's Mondeo suffered this - when the aircon was turned on (after winter months), there was an awful smell, like someone had p!$$ed in the system.

On a similar note - I have also been advised that some cars Aircon can be alot colder than others - Fords are freezing cold when cranked up. I checked because I thought my Audi CC was not functoning correctly - was cold but not as cold as the Mondeo - This is the norm.

Will do - but think I have tried this in the past and with recirced air, there is natural moisture in the air (from breath etc) and it steams the windows up as it's going nowhere but round and round the inside of the car.

Bottom line for me - I just leave it on.

yeah but the aricon should remove this if the compressor is running.
the advantage with recirc is the air is already fairly cool so it can cool it down further.

i agree about the ford aircon being bloomin cold!
my bro has a pool car focus from time to time and that aircon is amazingly cold.
but as many people say, it's not supposed to freeze you to death, it is just supposed to be comfortable.

we sell a product that kills the bacteria and freshes up state air con systems..

its £16 a tin and does a brilliant job..

let me know if you need any

Andy

Mine stays on all the time, keeps the misty screen away, and stops me worrying it wont switch back on after the winter or such like.

I have a "ticking" noise coming of pump, am i looking at a new pump? got quoted £1k+ from audi! needless to say its not going there , will need to find a air con specilist in glasgow(any ideas/suggestions)

ahh guys im thinking my audi a4 needs a regas - just noticed it aint gettin cold just warm and normal air temp. what d u reckon guys?

worth getting it checked at least..

the diagnostic tools also tell you if there is a problem with the flaps etc

[ QUOTE ]
I have a "ticking" noise coming of pump, am i looking at a new pump? got quoted £1k+ from audi! needless to say its not going there , will need to find a air con specilist in glasgow(any ideas/suggestions)

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you mean the pump above the passenger footwell / behind the glove box. If so, It may be on it's way out but there is another thread on here that states they are quite easy to fit (I read it after Audi fitted mine !!) however it wasn't £1k - I think the new pump was about £270 ish and the usual £90 p/h to fit (was about an hour as well)
I think it was And Mac on another thread who indicated, take the glove box out and there it is - 3 bolts to remove.
I didn't consider a second hand pump as there's no indication how much life is left in it.
Ususal symptoms - Clicking, Then intermittent blowing air and no blowing air, then it packs up altogether - No hot or cold air.

As for no cold air - I woud l guess a regass - cant think of anything else that would cause no cold air to come through.

That wasn't the pump it was the blower, these tend to pack up at 100k miles or so (depending on use) as the motor brushes wear out and you can't get replacements I got a brand new Valeo blower after searching everywhere for £180 from Audi4U on 01278-434141.
As said really easy to fit, remove glovebox, take out bracket (4 bolts) which is in the way and 3 or 4 screws to remove the blower, 30mins tops.
The pump is a different story as it's buried in the engine bay somewhere.