EM TuningVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Cool 1.8 (ADR) => 1.8T (AEB) Swap

Hi all

In temporary moments of insanity, I am contemplating the above swap on the missus '98 B5 Avant. Can anyone tell me any specific pitfalls during such a conversion? Just looking at stock for stock right now..

Without knowing the specifics, i've assumed the following as changing :-

Engine/
    Manifolds
    Exhaust
    Intercooler/pipework
    ECU (immobilisor issues?)
    Loom (how much of it?)
    Fuel Pump
    Clutch (assume the gearbox will be ok)

Usually I wouldn't bother with all the OEM stuff, i'd just build an engine and map it on aftermarket management, but I can a cheap, quick and easy swap. The logical thing to do would be sell/trade it for another more suitable vehicle, but she's suggested she wouldn't want another a4 avant, and i'd like to keep it in the house. There's also been a fair bit of money ploughed into this one and I don't want to get involved in swapping suspension/brakes/ICE etc.

Particularly interested in hearing from folks who have done the conversion. Thanks in advance for any useful advice

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Most people would say the pitfall would be the hassle when you could just buy a 1.8t instead whether it be an A4 or an A3.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Most people would say the pitfall would be the hassle when you could just buy a 1.8t instead whether it be an A4 or an A3.
    Yeah, I already mentioned that in my post. Thanks.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The other thing to consider is insuring a 1.8T engined 1.8 can often cost a decent amount more than an actual 1.8T.

If it were me and i was determined to to the swap, i'd probably buy a scabby complete car. Infact thats exactly what i've done for my 1.8T-into-S4-shell project. Theres a whole host of small bits and bobs you need but wont typically get easily from a breakers for whatever reason, and it'd be far cheaper to find a MOT failure complete car and swap the parts over as required. You can also buy complete cars for the same money that people seem to want for the engines alone.

So long as the car you buy is of the same age range, the loom should effectively plug streight in at the bulkhead. There are 3 main types, roughly 95-97, 98-99 and 2000 on.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks aragorn. It's something to contemplate before the ADR craps itself from oil starvation. Although it's been rattling on start-up for a couple of years now so who knows..

There's a list of jobs that need doing to this A4 (now including the central-locking pump that appears to have died this morning).. I need to weigh up if the decent suspension and brakes really is worth keeping the car and spending more money on it.. I don't really have the time (or space) to get involved in removing those parts and fitting them to another car, and I think SWMBO would kill me if I got her another avant.

Maybe it's just time to give up on the old girl and sell it on.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Thing is, you need so much stuff that any breakers going to change a fortune for it. Most breakers also seem heavy handed and the motor will undoubtedly arrive with bits broken/damaged/snapped/chopped off, meaning you need to find replacements etc.

Rattling immediately on startup then going quiet after a few seconds is most likely a faulty (or loose) non-return valve in the oil filter housing. So long as its serviced properly oil starvation should never become an issue.

Theres NEVER any financial sense in modifying cars. You do it because you want to as its something you enjoy, or because of some irrational/emotional attachment to the vehicle. As such theres no point trying to weigh up the costs. bear in mind that not only will you have the cost of the replacement engine and everything required to install it, but also the costs of a full engine service, ie full timing belt set, belts/tensioners, spark plugs, filters, oil etc etc. You also may as well fit a new clutch when its out too.

What i'd probably do, if you really want a FWD 1.8T, is buy one, swap your nice suspension and brakes onto it, then sell the old car. You'll probably recoup most of the money and it will cost you FAR less than converting anything, in terms of both time and money.

In my case, i had a 1.8T FWD avant, and when i got to the point i was getting the itch to modify, i sold it on and baught a quattro instead.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-wa...6-n-yorks.html
    Just what you're looking for! Hint hint!
    96 A4 Avant 1.8T sport
    Things to do:
    Sell it :-(