Anyone fitted 5.25" Speakers in front doors?

A

AndyCollins

I am looking into fitting 5.25" drivers into my front doors using speaker adaptors (thanks Andymac). Has anyone done this, and what speakers/adaptors did you fit? I'm trying to establish how much depth I would have to play with once the adaptors are fitted.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yep, recently fitted 5.25" Alpine Components with the adaptors. I just used the Autoleads adaptors. Click here for adaptors

It was very easy to fit. Took about 1 hour including removal/refitting the door panels.

Sounds fantastic as I have also replaced all of the other speakers too along with headunit. (And installed amp & sub ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

Then you realise how bad the originals sounded.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

the depth on the Pioneer custom fit is 57mm, but these don't need the spacer ring, so I would try and keep the speaker depth below 60mm if possible. I know the depth on the A3 fronts is 60mm max.

I've just had Kenwood 5.25 components fitted, with adapter rings, & they fitted fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Jeff you didn't see the 2 inches they chiselled off the back the of the speakers to get them to fit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but I did see the round dent in the door skins where they have been sucked in & attached themselves to the speaker magnets.

Guys where did you mount your passive crossovers?

Ive got Dls comps in my front and the xover (big and bulky) I just wedged in the door as a temp solution. Got a bulk pack of Dynamat waiting to go in so may move it to under the dash etc- any ideas?

Behind/above the glovebox, there's loads of room, but you have to rewire the speakers which is a bit of a pain.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you fit Alpine SXE-1350s components by any chance? They are on my short list, but would like to confirm that they fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used the Alpine SXS-1357 . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Behind/above the glovebox, there's loads of room, but you have to rewire the speakers which is a bit of a pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Andy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I think i am going to fit my Infinity 5.25" components this week.

I had them in my old car for about 6months and have been up the loft over 2 years now.

Seems a waste then sitting there so i may as well bung them in the A4.

I hear the Autoleads adaptors are pants. Is this true? If so what else could i use as i dont have many tools etc to make my own adaptors.

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]

I hear the Autoleads adaptors are pants. Is this true? If so what else could i use as i dont have many tools etc to make my own adaptors.
Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes they are i have alpine sxs 1350 i have fitted the rightside however the is a big gap where the auto leads adaptor ring meets the speaker.
look like ill have to file down the protruding bit on the adaptor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

or you can use silicone or hotglue to fill the gap but either way it's messy.
Making your own is obviously better, but it's fiddly on the A4 and you lose some vital depth using MDF.