Adding remote locking & coding keys

tezmc

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a '96 TDI 110 and am wanting to add remote locking to it. I've used the universal rclick kits before, but was wondering if there was a more OEM way of doing it on the B5?

Also, I've only got one key at the minute. Is it possible to code a new key into the system using VCDS? If so, where can I get a blank transponder from?

Thanks

you need vagtacho to code in the key.

As for OEM methods, it depends on the central locking pump. If you currently have a "two hose" pump, then you can swap it for a remote capable unit and it should more or less just work.

If its the older single hose pump however the wirings different and you'd need to rewire half the car. I had a November '96 1.8T and it had the early pump, so your probably SOL.

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I have got the earlier pump so I'm out of luck there!

If I got myself vag tacho, would I need to find a blank transponder or could I program another transponder into the system?

I've got a few Polo 6N keys + transponders hanging around from a car I scrapped last year. I'm going to take my key apart and see if they are the same. Failing that, any ideas where I could buy a transponder from?

Cheers!

This might have just become very straight forward. I took my key apart and I don't seem to have a transponder at all? Were the early '96 models really this basic in terms of security? I've got a couple of spare flip keys and HAA blanks, so I should just be able to get my current key copied.

Here's a picture of the inside of my key:

B1xq6m.jpg

I've just opened my key up, and it seems there's no transponder in it. Were the early '96 models this basic in security? Here's a picture of my key innards:

B1xq6m.jpg

I think the transponder is the item bottom right in your picture.My '96 has a transponder/imobiliser as the yellow key simbol illuminates when you turn the ignition on and my key looks the same as yours.

You were right Mike, cheers for the heads up. I've got the Megamos system on there.

I bought myself a copy of vag tacho and the cable, and have now got my 4 digit SKC code. I've got a full licensed version of VCDS and know I can use this to code in a new key. Is it now just a case of buying a new key with blank transponder and coding it in using VCDS?

Thanks for any help/info!