Can't open boot

Terry McNicholls

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought a B5 A4 TDi 110 SE and realised when I got home that I can't open the boot. The central locking seems to work fine, as I can hear the solenoid working. However, pressing in the lock button doesn't release the boot at all. I've also tried unlocking the boot from the key.

Does anyone know what the cause of this could be? I can't see how I can access the boot through the cabin either.

Thanks,
Terry

It's a '96 prefacelift. My dad has a TDI 90 of the same year and his seats have a hatch which gives some access to the boot, but mine doesn't? There's more material behind the rear bench armrest.

Thanks

Did you not open the boot when you went to view the car? I always check everything, even under the carpets where possible for damage/rust etc etc

Nope, I dropped a ******* with this one :( I'm usually really thorough when viewing cars too!

Turn the key anti clockwise in the lock as far as it will go (circa 45degrees), then back to centre and remove, then press the button and it should open.

I just tried that and could feel the lock solenoid working, but pressing the button in didn't release the catch. I'm thinking the catch has come loose somehow? I've tried pushing down on the bootlid while I press the button to no avail.

Is there a way of removing the rear seats entirely from the cabin, or is boot access required?

Thanks for the help.

If its a FWD car theres a steel panel seperating the cabin from the boot, so your not climbing thru that way without use of an angle grinder!

i have a sticky boot release at the moment and it will only open whilst the key is fully to the left.

you can get into the boot, IIRC the panel has a "dotted Line" style access panel that only requires a few cuts to remove.

had to do this on a 90 quattro I had