ABS warning light at 70+mph????

canadianA4

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm hoping for some advice on this problem with my A4 avant 1.9 tdi 1998 basically I have changed the rear discs, wheel bearings and pads now as soon as I hit 70 on the motorway the ABS light comes on and stays on till I turn the car off? Below 70 it's fine have checked for play in the wheels/ discs but have none?

Thanks in advance
Xander

I have this exact same problem on my A3 8l. Very annoying.

You've either knocked the abs sensor a gnats danglies ween doing the bearing, or have a damaged reluctor. I'm sure I have a cracked reluctor, and I get this after about an hour at 70. I also have the low speed pulsing issue.
It's the constant vibration that changes the gap and trigers the fault.
The good news is that VCDS will tell you which wheel is the problem if you had the light on at any point.

Ok have checked the sensors had a tiny bit of movement just need to take it for a run to see. Now this will sound stupid but what is VCDS??

Ok abs light sorted had a quick blast up the motorway and no warning light😜must have knocked it when I was fighting with a wheel bearing that had completely des integrated cheers for the advice guys

Always good to hear when faults are so simply rectified.

VCDS is vag-com diagnostic software for reading the ECU and pulling the DTC codes up. Also, with a fully registered version you can also program some changes to the car. But nothing like remapping the ECU, Thats different. You can change things like BOSe/NON-BOSe on the stereo, change auto sport boxes into permanent sports mode and lots of other things.

Have a read from here: Ross-Tech Wiki

Dan

Thanks Dan I'll have a look now all I need to do it get another rim as a pothole dented the outside lip and no companies near me will repair it so it a new one gggggrrrrrr!!!!!