massive rear bearing failure

jcb

Reaction score
did a DIY on changing a rear bearing a while ago and should have done both of them at the same time as now the right hand one has gone...in a weird way!

not your usual groan/drone/rumble.
I thought I had something caught between tyre and inner wheel arch, sounds terrible, like a metal bucket full of tennis ball sized rocks!

anyone had one fail like this before?

pulling it tomorrow to see the carnage!

Just replaced mine this weekend.

The bearing looked perfectly fine on the inside, but the outer casing had cracked and part of it was missing!

No ****** grease or worn balls/grooves. Very strange.

Hmmm

these came with the replacement rear subframe (should have done them before I fitted it, but was in a hurry!)
No idea what make or mileage but on left hand corners it sounds like I have hobbits in the wheel well!

Glad it didnt throw you off the road. I hope everything is sorting itself out now and you kept that engine etc.

surprising really as there is not that much play in it. Hope to god it isn't something more terminal like a diff!
I already have a spare bearing just didnt get round to doing it when I did the other one a month or so ago.

engine is staying for the time being.
not giving it away!

turbo, clutch, FW, AFR and a few other off the shelf bits have gone. easily replaced when my numbers come up!
have just cancelled Christmas until they do!!

cheers

Off topic ! Ed, do you have a few pictures of the SMF and the clutch ? Trying to work out how much rattle i will have on a diesel engine with your set-up ! Chatting as we speak on tdi club with a few fellow members who used Southbend clutches and SMF for a while so just need to compare specs. Did you manage to post it yet ? Verry eager to get it fitted...Thanks !

I never heard a ball bearing fail like that, is your's a quattro ? Rear diffs do make that rumble if they've ran dry. Get a SKF wheel bearing kit as you're more likely to do it again sooner than later.

I had this before on my old focus, has completely disintegrated and welded itself to various parts of the hub. Was a nightmare to get off and change!

is there a difference between S4 and 1.8tqs bearings?

I have a bearing where the flange is a press fit into the outer AND the inner bearing race. Clearly wrong as it binds.
no idea where I got it as it has been sitting in my spare parts bin for ages.

very inconvenient as I now have a 3 legged car and a new bearing sitting 7 miles away!!

s4 and TQS are the same, it's a quattro bearing same thing.

They do need to only go in one way though the inner race is smaller dia on the inside race.

yeh the bearing is the same as an S4, and is stepped.

It is a press fit to both races, you just need to make sure you install it the right way round. Fit the bearing to the upright backwards and it'll lock up half way in.

Does the bearing you used have a part number?

Me being a ****.
it is the same, I know the outer race is not as deep as I made that mistake the first time i did one, but for some reason I thought the outside was a press fit and the other was held in place when torqued up the the CV
all done, back on the road grumble free.

should have read my own DIY as I tried to install bearing and then flange using my press free method. doesnt work quite so well that way round!

I had the passenger rear bearing fail big time after I got it off found that half the rollers were missing and was packed with copper slip no bearing grease to be found, I hate it when people bodge things instead of just fixing it £20 for a bearing kit and its sorted

funny thing these are all ball bearing races in mine.

do some have roller bearings?