Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    5th Gear

Status

Brake upgrade - but to what?

This might be better posted in the tuning section, but anyway, here goes.

My 99 A4 1.8T went in for an AVS service at 74K miles, when I was told that the pads and discs had seen betters days, I was also told this 8 weeks ago at the MOT.

Now as they are coming to the end of their life I have 2 options; firstly, replace with orignal parts, or secondly pay a bit more and get something better.

I'm not looking at spending a huge amount, and nor am I looking at uprgading the wheels at this time (16" standard) to house bigger discs. I have had alook around various websites, here, AMD etc and I am liking the look of the EBC Green stuff pads and the EBC Grooved Discs AMD - EBC or here I see an Audi TT 225 brake upgrade that may be suitable for my vehicle? AMD - TT

I'm not sure what the cost would be to replace my pads/discs all round with orignal stuff but I'mm gussing 300 - 400? (I'll phone the garage tomorrow) so I'm thinking another couple of hundered ontop of that price is sort of the top of what I want to spend.

I've looked at the thread from JPD and Soupie, but I don't want the agro (and cost) of sourcing different parts etc... I just want to take it somewhere and let them get on with it.

Any idea's?

Kev.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Re: Brake upgrade - but to what?

I just repaced all of my brakes and front brake hoses for 200 for eurocarparts.
    If you car isn't a quattro you also need to remove / change the bearings. I knocked the old ones out as they weren't warn. Included in that 200 is the 2 ABS rings at 10 each that you will need to change on the rears.
    Mine isn't a turbo so brakes aren't as big, but there ain't that much different, and it is only the fronts which are different.

5th Gear

Status

oh i got the better quality of the standard fit stuff.

Owner

Status

I just did the TT upgrade see in the A4 B5 forum.

They are pretty good wouldnt pay 500 though!!

5th Gear

Status

As I say mate, I'll have to look into what a garage would charge to do all discs and pads and then see how much more I'm willing to spend over and above.

As you sourced all your parts independantly, but fitted yourself, what was the overall cost? And it was only the fronts, yes?

Kev.