JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications

Thread: Engine Out

Neutral

Status

Engine Out

The time has come to change the Clutch on my S4 and want to ask you guys who has done this what else should I replace while the engine is out? I know i need to change the crankshaft seal front and rear.
    Where is the best place to get a clutch kit anyway?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Anyone?

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    looking for a stock clutch?
    assume you are replacing the DM Flywheel.

2nd Gear

Status
    Whats the mileage?
    Timing belt+Tensioners
    Water Pump
    Turbos

Neutral

Status
    Thks Sulli79

Mileage is 70K and everything that you mentioned has been changed except turbos. All coolant hoses including radiator will be changed but i want to know is the hoses connected to the heater core matrix, can they be changed without taking the dashboard out?

The car is stock so want to change to stock/RS4 clutch. Is DM flywheel better? Who to buy clutch/turbos from?

2nd Gear

Status
    Honkers, regarding the heater matrix, I'm away with work so cant check my car, but mostly you find they come off at the bulkhead, so these should be easy enough to change. Personally I'd do away with the dual mass flywheel, with the clutch and turbo situation, what's your budget and target power figure?

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    If your looking to fit a stock rs4 clutch it should bolt straight to your existing flywheel which should already be solid not dual mass iirc

And dual mass flywheels commonly fail solid don't so there is the answer to which is better.

And as for turbos you could go for rs4 k04's or even go hybrid.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

Neutral

Status
    Thks again Sulli and Brad. I want to keep everything stock coz i am only going to keep it for a year or 2 coz i am waiting for the new A3..

Clutch still pull very well and i have owned it for 5 yrs now with 75K miles on the clock so time to change for a 11yr old car.

Called the guys at Unit 20 and they told me a clutch change can be done by dropping only the gearbox. Is that true?
    I had a deposit on an RS3 last month but cancelled the order hence i will keep the S4 for a bit longer.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkers View Post
    The time has come to change the Clutch on my S4 and want to ask you guys who has done this what else should I replace while the engine is out? I know i need to change the crankshaft seal front and rear.
    Where is the best place to get a clutch kit anyway?
    If they are not leaking i would leave them alone, i had troubles before after replacing a few and it's not funny when you have to pull the engine agan in order to rectify ! By the way, the s4 has a dual mass flywheel and sprung clutch set-up so you need to replace them at the same time !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    Yes you can do it by just taking the box off, as on the 1.8T you just take the nuts off the engine mounts to lift the engine high enough to get to the bolts on the bottom of the bell housing. Don't no about S4 but reckon its very much the same only with a V6 lump.

You going for quattro in the A3 then ?? Should stick with proper quattro and the B5
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

Neutral

Status
    Unfortunatley crankshaft seal is leaking and making a mess of my engine plastic guard thingymagig . Heard they are a common problem.
    Head says buy the RS3 but it just doesnt make sense when new model comes next spring.