HEADLIGHTS URGENT

AUDIXXX

Reaction score
Hey people, I need to change the headlights on my audi A4 x reg 1.8.
I cant figure out how to get to the lights, should i take the airbox etc out and reach it from back, or is there an easier way?
Cheers, Dom

You dont need to take the airbox out, just the connecting pipe it just pops out or you can unscrew the 2 screws that hold the end on and remove. then its just 3 torx per headlight to remove.

Why you taking your headlights out anyway?

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I need to change a bulb because ones gone out... Is that still the right way to change them?

No you dont need to take the lights out to change bulbs but for the drivers side you will need to remove the tube to the airbox as i said then you just remove the caps at the back of the lights and replace bulbs, its quite tight on the drivers side though so small hands are best!

Cheers

ahh nice one, thanx for the reply, Dom.
PS im still quite confused about audi headlights, would the 1.8 a4 x reg have single headlights?

have you got HID lights with a high voltage warning sticker on the cover, or are they normal halogen ones.

does the broke one look like this? If it does you need a D2S HID bulb.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23009&item=7960664894&rd=1
These are well expensive over here so get from Germany on ebay, ie link.

Otherise if it is a normal filament bulb, it should be a H7. Bulb manufacturers know that xenon is a buzz word now, so put xenon gas into their ordinary bulbs so that people buy them thinking they'll be twice as bright. load of marketing bullsh!te!

well not sure how well clued up you are on physics, but becuase you have the facelift lights, being an x-reg, they use a projector headlight. unlink most headlights, the light is projected through a convex glass lense. there is a metal plate behind this lense that masks off half of the light so that it only shines on the road. when the light hits this plate, depending what angle it hits, it "slows down" which causes it to shift frequency, depending on what angle it hits it at, hence the rainbow purpley effect. same as a prism or a rainbow.

so maybe the light produced by these super white bulbs either overpowers you seeing that rainbow effect. anyway shouldn't worry bout it!!