URGENT....Fan blower stopped working out of the blue!!

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Refitted my old throttle body after a good clean today and now my fan motor for the windscreen has stopped working.

I use my car at 5am for work. Really need help on this guys please.

I've checked all of the fuses (cos i didn't know which is fan but found it to be fuse 25?), All fuses are ok.

Cheers,

Dan

All of a sudden? Seems strange that it was coming on earlier when i was doing the throttle body alignment though? Then left the car for a few hours, just been for some fuel and noticed no fans. Climate display still shows fan bars on the side.

How do i access the blower motor?

Dan

Piece of **** to change mate, I did mine in the office car park over lunch. Much to the bemusement of my co workers lol.

Gen fan from ECP was about £70 iirc

THinking of going to a scrappy on tuesday aft to pick one up. But will do some checks tomorrow eveing, too dark now.

Cheers for info Oranoco.

Dan

Bit of a pointer,

Mines stopped twice now also, was told it would be the motor but as u say its strange that it would just stop and not be intermittently at fault for a period first. I got into mine to find the live connection rubber sheath had melted and lost connection. Cleaned it up and worked fine. This only happened after jump starting the car thou, but worth checking before buying a motor or replacing brushes.

Brushes are gone, i got some and soldered thenm into mine veofr it expired, cost me a fiver and half hour to remove, solder and refit. Sorted.

£40 delivered for a brand new OEM Valeo unit on ebay. This is a maintenance part so getting one from a scrappy is pointless as it will have the same issue eventually.

Removed fan after work and it spun freely by hand. Plugged back in and turned fan on. felt it 'hummm' but no movement. so quick spin by hand and its off, spinning away, with a repetitive 'clunk' noise when spinning. Turned it off and back on but wouldn't spin on its own accord.

How do i remove the motor from the housing?

There does seem to be some corrosion in there, and some of the holding screws were a bit rusty too!

Dan

Found it very easy to remove motor. removed brushes and there is about 1cm on both sides left. lights sand on those as they were dirty, and a quick clean at base of motor where they contact. Too late now to go outside and refit and try but will plug it in in the morning as i will prob need the fan in the morning!!

Dan

Get a new, genuine one mate, i did try new brushes and after a lot of messing about i just gave up. It's the windings inside the motor, one is shorted. I have even tried making a good one out of 2 broken ones with new brushes, worked for just a week ! I don't waste my time anymore especially for the sake of 70 quid. Dealer's price is over 225 pounds !

Well, fitted it back in this morning at 05:45hrs and all is sweet now! No rattling and getting nice flow of air again. Will keep an eye on it and the scrappy have several in so if i need one urgently one of those will tie me over until i get a new one. But fingers crossed, it's sorted for the time being. :)

Cheers for everyones input.

Dan

Deffo sounds like the brushes so I wouldn't hold your breath on it working for long. It really is an easy job to change the brushes and you can get them off ebay for about a fiver

Brushes are gone, i got some and soldered thenm into mine veofr it expired, cost me a fiver and half hour to remove, solder and refit. Sorted.

Hi buddy. Just opened up my b7...got the blower out...but how on earth do you get to the brushes? Any help will be much appriciated...cars in bits!

b5 is different to B7
Hi...yes. my bad...I realised I was posting on the b5 forum...its the b6/b7 that are the same for the blowers...Apologies. but thank you for the reply.