Fecking Piece of dog muck!!

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Really getting hacked off with this car now!!

Changed the TB, Coolant Temp sensor and spark plugs yesterday. Can ran ok ish last night. temp gauge hit 90 no problems.

6am this morning, car wouldn't even IDLE!! Had to rev its nut off just get me off my drive and set off down the road. Temp gauge never went above 70 (even on the climate display!) Once warmed up alot (nice red hot air through the vents) Gauge still saying 70 and running a bit better.

Finished work, and started car...it was the same. Wouldn't idle. Took air filter off, unplugged and replugged Coolant Temp sensor, started car and it started idling fine. Better ride home, although, temp gauge never went over 70 again though. MPG is totally pants again. 19mpg!!

Just plugged it into laptop and got these:

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0
Tuesday, 04 October 2011, 19:11:46:0
Control Module Part Number: 4D0 907 551 F
Component and/or Version: 2.8L V6/5V MOTR HS D03
Software Coding: 04201
Work Shop Code: WSC 00020
3 Faults Found:
17967 - Throttle Body (J338): Fault in basic settings
P1559 -- 35-00 - -
01166 - Engine Torque Signal
11-10 -- Control Limit Not Reached - Intermittent
16551 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S3; Heating Circuit: Malfunction
P0167 -- 35-00 - -

What is torque signal problem?
I dont have 3 lambdas sensors on the car?!?

With the bonnet up and drivers door open, the TB does make a whining noise for about 35-45 secs then clicks 3 times and stops. Is this normal?

heh Lambda Bank 2 Sensor 3 doesnt exist lol.

Why did you change the CTS?

Sounds like a faulty themostat causing the 70c running.

I'm thinking we're leaning more towards a faulty ECU here?

I only changed it because the old one, the metal rim, was corroding. Very rusty. So thought, whilst i was in the with TB and pipework off, to change it the sensor too.

I've never been in the ECU box yet. Are these prone to water ingress like the D2 A8's were?!?!

The B2 S3 isn't the only strange code i've had. I've also had once about some engine mount or something. Would it not rather be my VCDS and the ECU wouldn't have the info of the B2 S3 sensor would it??

where did you buy the CTS

Hmmm... that does sound like the 'stat is foobarred too.

Have you checked the continuity between the MAF and the ECU yet? Like I said, you may have a chafed wire.

I fitted a new stat and the a few days later it was playing up took it out and it had got stuck open by it coming all the way out of the guide hole and not being able to slide back

Seems strange that on the day of fitting the CTS it was working totally fine. Only the next day did it fail to show the full reading on climate and the guage.

Prior to doing all the work above, the car was running better than ever! Even achieving 31mpg avg at 70mph!! I got the CTS off ebay, its not genuine item. I'm going to be sending it back, not happy with it. I'll get a genuine item on friday or may even just refit my old one again for the time being.

No, i've not had chance to do much continuity checks but i will at the weekend. I got a spare MAF now too.

Dan

always use oem CTS even the GSF ones fail or dont even work

CTS issue.
always buy OEM for stuff like that

I agree, would only even go genuine on something like that.

I dont think that explains the crazy fault codes though!

picking up a genuine CTS tomorrow from my pal at VW stealer in York. Prob fit it on sat if i get chance, otherwise it'll be sunday. Having my Saab 900 turbos brought home on sat! More cars to work on! lol

Aragorn....Maybe the ECU is taking after me being crazy? lol. If i can get from one local scrappy i will, cos he only charges 10quid for ECU's!!!