Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Another problem...This time the clutch

THe clutch has felt fine since I bought the car. No slips or judders or anything. Then today I did my usual (started car by holding clutch in) and the engine and car shook violently. I switched the engine off and took my foot off the clutch pedal but the pedal stayed down.

With a little gentle help it came back up. Switched the engine on and it ran fine. Went to select gear (gear shift feels fine, no crunching) but the gear does not engage.

Need advice as im kind of thinking a broken cylinder (hopefully cheap fix), but if its a new clutch then may as well scrap the car

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Sounds more serious than the slave to me.

If you can select the gear but it wont move it suggests something wrong with the clutch driven plate.

What engine is it?

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    Seen this sort of fault before the pressure plate may have snapped a retaining spring or fork spring so it's not fully engaging/disengaging the clutch.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

Reverse Gear

Status
    Its an AFN engine. Ive done some investigating. Its not the slave but that was on way out so replaced anyway. Not master (looks quite recent and found to be working fine. So bradderz looks like what your saying could be the fault

Reverse Gear

Status
    Can select any gear with or without using clutch - makes no difference. Had front wheel in air, put in gear and moved one wheel by hand and the other doesnt move.  So sounds more like a plate to me but Im no mechanical god so only a guess. Comments appreciated

Status
    I'd say you're guna have to whip the gear box out if it does it in all gears the I'd inspect the clutch closely, if it's a certain gear ie 1-2 3-4 then it may be a syncro at fault.

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

Reverse Gear

Status
    It does the wheel thing in all gears bradders. Gearbox off soon then!

Status
    Have you tried listening to the tone and feeling of the engine at idle then engage the clutch To see if it changes tone quite abit or any feel of vibration through the gearstick/pedal/car ??

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    the fact he can select any gear with the engine running and without the car taking off down the road is a pretty good indication that the clutch itself is fubar!

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Reverse Gear

Status
    TURNS OUT THE CLUTCH PLATE HAD BECOME TWELVE PIECES! Got it fixed and the car sold. Good riddence