Another problem...This time the clutch

tonythetiger

Reaction score
THe clutch has felt fine since I bought the car. No slips or judders or anything. Then today I did my usual (started car by holding clutch in) and the engine and car shook violently. I switched the engine off and took my foot off the clutch pedal but the pedal stayed down.

With a little gentle help it came back up. Switched the engine on and it ran fine. Went to select gear (gear shift feels fine, no crunching) but the gear does not engage.

Need advice as im kind of thinking a broken cylinder (hopefully cheap fix), but if its a new clutch then may as well scrap the car

Cheers

Sounds more serious than the slave to me.

If you can select the gear but it wont move it suggests something wrong with the clutch driven plate.

What engine is it?

Seen this sort of fault before the pressure plate may have snapped a retaining spring or fork spring so it's not fully engaging/disengaging the clutch.

Its an AFN engine. Ive done some investigating. Its not the slave but that was on way out so replaced anyway. Not master (looks quite recent and found to be working fine. So bradderz looks like what your saying could be the fault

Can select any gear with or without using clutch - makes no difference. Had front wheel in air, put in gear and moved one wheel by hand and the other doesnt move.  So sounds more like a plate to me but Im no mechanical god so only a guess. Comments appreciated

I'd say you're guna have to whip the gear box out if it does it in all gears the I'd inspect the clutch closely, if it's a certain gear ie 1-2 3-4 then it may be a syncro at fault.

It does the wheel thing in all gears bradders. Gearbox off soon then!

Have you tried listening to the tone and feeling of the engine at idle then engage the clutch To see if it changes tone quite abit or any feel of vibration through the gearstick/pedal/car ??

the fact he can select any gear with the engine running and without the car taking off down the road is a pretty good indication that the clutch itself is fubar!

TURNS OUT THE CLUTCH PLATE HAD BECOME TWELVE PIECES! Got it fixed and the car sold. Good riddence