Warning about creaking suspension

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After my little mishap, i thought i had best get around to fitting my springs and shocks that i have had lying around for a cople of months.

I have had an occasional creak and groan from the front L side, but as it seemed a design feature and my service is due in 2 weeks i thought maybe it would be covered in the control arm recall.

Anyway upon disassembly i saw this
arm.jpg

the bush litterally fell out. The top mount is worn and the arm is totalled, Oh and i am srtuggling to get the pich bolt out,lol

Anyway i thought i would warn peeps not to ignore these little noises else it could get expensive

Mark- pic not showing. (id reccomend Imageshack.us as free and no bandwith limit) But very good advice- take heed people!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

What arm is this mawhitey as I am told there are "8 arms" (on my 97 model anyway) on the cars.
My A4TS recently failed MOT due to curved arm / ball joints. I'm due to have them done this friday.
P.S The recall you mention - Audi state my "Load bearing arms" are fine.

Oh dear mine creaks i will have to get it checked.

it was the LH top front one, new one turned up today, but i am nights tonoght so wont be attacking it till tommorrow, I just hope the WD40 has eased the pinch bolt??

[ QUOTE ]
it was the LH top front one, new one turned up today, but i am nights tonoght so wont be attacking it till tommorrow, I just hope the WD40 has eased the pinch bolt??

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad luck mate... if you can get it out easily, you aint getting it out! We tried heating the f*cker up with a blow torch, lump hammer, .etc and NOTHING worked! The whole suspension setup for that side had to be removed as one, paced in a vice and 7 shades of sh*t beat out of it before it would budge. Not a fun job! Whatever route you take, be careful and have a spare bolt at the ready!

Rich

ive replaced the lot on mine, i was lucky, loads of wd and my pinch bolts came out very easy. i replaced all the bolts as well, and put plenty of copperslip on the new pinchers. car drives like new.

I had to heat mine till they were red hot before the pinch bolts would come out. Replaced all the arms in the end. You'll probably find if it has gone on one side it will be the same on the other.

John

i had the same problem squeeky joints i was warned in time and changed the lot god bless euro car parts lol

[ QUOTE ]
I had to heat mine till they were red hot before the pinch bolts would come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to be very careful though otherwise rubber on ball joints get screwed!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Wooohhoooo !!!!

I did it, after soaking the bolts for a day in a combination of Plus Gas and WD40, a bit of "tapping" i got it to move, I then used a hot air gun on it and away she went. The car feels much better now ( that'll be the Eibachs then) can't wait for them to settle properly.

I feel very lucky tho, god only knows what may have happened if i hadn't done it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif