Quattro ABS Sensor woes...

mixmaster

Reaction score
Since destroying the front ABS sensor thinking I had to remove it during a CV boot change it took some care with a rubber mallet to reinstall the new one into its new copper cage.

Is this normal?

Although I haven't paid too much attention to measurements it seems to have gone in ok (I didn't push it too far) and no longer have the ABS dash light on.

Does lack of warning light mean everything should be fine safety wise?

Thanks in advance.

It should just slide in.

The upright gets rusty though, and the rust makes the hole smaller. Ideally you'd have used a round file to clean out all the crap and fitted a new brass sleeve.

"Rust makes the hole smaller"... tee hee! :busted_cop:

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

Although I have had the ABS light on the dash I haven't seen it for a long time now; However, the pulsating at slow speeds is progressively getting more frequent.

Would you blame the ABS module in this case or the sensor?

Thanks in advance.

Agree with aragorn's suggestion and split reluctor ring. Remove driveshaft - by undoing splined bolts at inner cv joint.

Did the same job myself last year. Remove existing ring, and thoroughly clean area prior to fitting new ring, a light smear of grease will help too. Heat the new ring with a blow torch until cherry red. Fitting it cold is likely to pose problems.

Looks like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: PAULF
Thanks both of you. As the light isn't on is this likely to be an MOT failure do you know?

If its not on and the decelerometer readings are good i shouldnt see why it wouldnt pass TBH !!

Mine passed with it pulsing no problem. I did change one of the Avant rears for new and repaired the other rear Avant and one rear saloon as they weren't cheap (Mentioned in here - How to replace front and rear suspension parts (with pics) )

Beware though, it takes somebody from Aberdeen to save money by repairing these :icon_thumright:

As Spartacus says, you need to clean the seat well and heat the ring to cherry red. Pop it on and push it home with an old screwdriver or similar.

Reactions: spartacus 68