B5 Facelift Few Questions.

Mackers

Reaction score
mine headlights look like candles, anyways of upgrading them.... HID's? Brilliance bulbs?
and also
is there a way of installing FOLDING MIRRORS, on a car without them??
if so what do i need.
Wayne

HID's would be the way to go.

I'm not a fan of "conversion" kits though.

The type approval for HID's states you need headlight washers, automatic headlamp levelling and a lamp unit designed for use with HID's and thus you need all of these things for them to be actually legal. As a result no conversion can be fully legal because a halogen headlamp isnt approved for use with HID's.

Ofcourse most people dont bother, throw a HID bulb into their standard lamp unit and ignore everything else, which is why you end up dazzled by every chav in their saxos/corsas/whatever who happens to drive past.

Reactions: Mackers
Get some Osram Night breakers in there, they brilliant. I got them in mine and they so much better.

As for your mirrors. I fitted this on my car couple of months ago.

Part list, Mirrors. You can get the passenger side from ebay really easy for a OEM one. The drivers side is a bit harder but you can buy a new one from any good lucas supplier or I might even sell my spare one.
You also need the cables, relay (I used a A8 version) and the different mirror switch.
There is a post in this section about the mirrors and gives your complete part numbers, do search and it will turn up.

As a lighting engineer I feel somewhat qualified to pass comment. As aragorn says no conversion can be legal without the correct lamp units, self leveling and the washers. However providing you are careful with your choice of HID lamp a conversion is perfectly acceptable. I recently converted mine with a decent quality kit with AC ballasts. The beam cut off and pattern are excellent and with the headlamps adjusted correctly are not dazzling in any way to other road users. Most of the dazzle problem comes from people fitting the kits into reflector type headlamps which do not have the same level of light control as projector units.

Reactions: Mackers
I put Osram Night Breakers in my Facelift A4 they are better than the standard bulbs, but I think the dipped beam performance is still crap!

okies kwl
howz abouts a CAT BY-PASS for the 2.5tdi and a smooth wiper, wat VAG member can i buy a rear wiper off to fit.