S4 O/S/R brake binding... smoke!

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
Just got to work in the S4, opened the car door and thought... "that's a strange brake-like smell"

Looked at the back wheel and it was smoking! Looks like the brake has been caught on while I've been driving. I thought it was weird when I pulled the handbrake on and it was really 'easy' to activate. Thought it might need adjusting, but I guess not.

Is there a quick way of releasing it as I'll be stuck at work otherwise...

Cheers,

Giles

The handbrake spindle often siezes. Look thru the wheel at the top of the caliper, and theres a little metal arm and a plastic stop. With the handbrake OFF the arm should sit 1mm away from the stop. If its siezed its likely the arm has remained in the "on" position.

If you use a screwdriver or similar to push the arm back against the stop, you should be able to drive it so long as you dont touch the handbrake lever.

Wasn't that thingy... it was both calipers. One wasn't doing anything (and hadn't for a while apparently) and the drivers side had just stuck on. Managed to source some new ones. £270 fitted for both sides.

Bit annoying as I've only had the car 3 weeks... but just one of those things I guess.

As i said on SRS, i'd be considering upgrading to facelift calipers rather than spending that much on the crappy PFL ones.

the internal mechanism is complex and often jams, I tried to free mine off...... no chance.... i gave up and bought a new one from GSF...

I would be wanting to change the brake fluid too

Reactions: AndyC