ARB, cant decide!

AndyC

Reaction score
Website
www.k-tecracing.com
K guys......

Currently on B6 Bilstein and Eibach.... (maybe going for AST soon too)

Rear bushes poly now

looking for more turning stability and control and accuracy....

soooo.

Neuspeed rear ARB and std front

or

Hotchkis Kit

both have the rear frame supports...

thoughts please

AndyC

leave the front alone, the car understeers enough, and a stiffer front ARB will further reduce front end grip.

19mm Neuspeed rear bar will do the job perfectly.

I have a Eibach front antirollbar (on softest setting) and GMBH quattro (rs4) rear ARB on Eibach springs and genuine rs4 shocks. The best ride quality in my oppinion. I dont know how your car drives but i have driven many new cars and the ride is far better.

I also have a allroad and i have just fitted a rs6 rear ARB and it transformed the ride but the suspension still needs work ! I know they are not the same cars but the allroad is nice and stiff on the back and too soft and wallovy on the front. It helps with turning but not confidence inspiring on the motorway ! I would do them both just to even the feel if i was you !

Last edited:
The point is simple, you want as little ARB as you can get away with.

When you've installed lowered stiffer springs, the requirement for a big fat ARB is further reduced anyway, because you've lowered the roll centre and the stiffer springs naturally fight roll as well.

The front bar on these cars is more than enough, which is evidenced by the fact that Audi used the same bar on 1.8Ts, S4s and RS4s. IE even with >200kgs extra over the front axle on the RS spec performance model, they didnt touch it. Even the GMBH suspension upgrade for the RS4, which came with new springs and shocks and a rear ARB to give a more focussed drive, left the front ARB alone.

I completely removed the front ARB on my old nova, and all the nasty washout understeer the car had with it fitted simply vanished.

Do the RS4/S4`s come with the solid 29mm bar or the normal 29mm? I ordered one the other week looking to retrofit it to the back of mine and it weighed a tonne!!

I understand the dynamic of it, however it never accounts for "feel"...

I am however going to listen to the advice and just fit the rear............. :)

Everything with car setup is dependant on what surface you're going to be putting it on.
For a street setup, you want to keep the stock ARB.
Are you going to be tracking this car? What type of tracks?
For fast tracks (which is all we have here... ie Phillip Island, Eastern Creek), the front roll on these cars even with the 4cyl up front is too much on high speed not so high radius corners.

In my experience, the stiffer front ARB made it more responsive but also killed the feeling. My friends car with KW V3 (I forgot his settings) and a 19mm rear ARB had much more feeling and confidence in it.

I've got the diddy front ARB on mine and even with coilovers the ARB is outphased. Looking to upgrade it for something bigger but not so much bigger as to create an understeering bucket of bolts

Do the RS4/S4`s come with the solid 29mm bar or the normal 29mm? I ordered one the other week looking to retrofit it to the back of mine and it weighed a tonne!!

The front bar on all Sport models is the same part number as the S4/RS4 one.

Yeah just wondering as obviously they list the 29mm and then the 29mm sport(solid) with sport ARB bushes.

Was going to put the solid bar on the front but after having it physically in my hand it`ll just cause the thing to understeer like crazy until i sort the rear out. Probably just going to keep the 27mm bar, get some polybushes and change droplinks. Once i sort out the rear beam then i`ll see how it goes. If its a bit too tail happy after that then may try and make it neutral with the normal 29mm bar instead of the 29mm sport.