new turbo

skinz

Reaction score
just got myself a new turbo, my old 1 was a k03-005 but this 1 has got k03/29 on it, is this still ok for my car, its not 1 of them cheap ebay 1's is it, i got it from euro car parts, my car is a a4 1.8t N reg

Is it a genuine kkk ? I think the k03 029 is the b6 turbo iirc or they were were fitted to some b5's there's a thread somewhere on here.

its only got 1 K in the triangle, seen something about it being the k03s which is a bit bigger than the ko3

You got a pic of the label where it says k03-029 ? Yeah it's the 190bhp B6 turbo of the bfb engine and I think some APU engines, I'm sure they never fitted a k03s to any b5 as you only find the k03s on the transverse cars i.e. golf tt s3 etc iirc

Its not the 190hp turbo, its just a standard K03, but it is very slightly larger than the 005.

It'll fit just fine and work just as your old one did.

The K03S was only fitted to the 190hp B6 in longitudinal format, and its code is K03-073.

Well it's all fitted now seems ok, it's got a loud whistle when I put my foot down but my old 1 didn't

I did a full oil change when I did the turbo and I prept the turbo with oil b4 I fitted it, I don't do it when it's ideling or when I rev it, only when I'm driving and I put my foot down a bit harder

Sounds like the spool spinning, but didn't think it would b that loud

ill have a look at the hoses again 2moro, theres not a lot to check really

had a look an cant find any leaks, i read another thread an some said you should really change the oil feed lines when you change the turbo is this right

I'd really only change the feed and return lines if the turbo had been starved of oil or if it had sludge issues.

Every turbo we replace in the workshop we use a new feed pipe but as said probably just give it a flush out and should be alright.

Depends why its failed i guess.

If the engines sludged up to its eyeballs then sure replace it, but if the wastegate penny fell off an otherwise working turbo theres no reason to expect the pipe to need changed.

Gotta make money some how considering 80% of the work being carried out is good will or warranty so we make F all on it.

well i took the feed line off the turbo and turned the car over an the oil came out fine, i changed the oil but not the oil filter when i did the turbo, the oil came out really dark an sludgy is this cause i didnt change the filter, i didnt really want to change it cause ive got it booked in for a service in 2 wks an there gone do it for free. i spoke to a mate today an he said that it could be over boasting thats while it might b making that whistle noise, he said the best way to check is to get a boast gauge, dont i have to alter the accuator to change the boast, which means the turbos got to come out, if it is over boasting what do i need to do???

The boost is controlled by the ECU so long as the pipework is correct.

Its either a leak or a broken turbo if its whistling loudly.

The turbo don't seem to b kicking in like my old turbo, my old turbo used to kick in at about 2000rpm where as the new 1 is about 4500rpm but still weak

Last edited:
So what happens if I alter the actuator? Thought that altered the boost, with some boost gauges u get a boost control, how does that work if only the ecu controls the boost

I'd start by just pluming in a boost gauge and see what your actual boost is.

You can't really adjust the boost unless you get the car mapped, you can do a mod to have it kick in a bit harsher, I personally don't believe in mbc's unless your using it just to prevent boost spikes. Also check your vac lines for the FPR and DV also check the condition of the DV as they are common for going I Replaced mine for a forge DV and when I removed the old one you could blow through it with little effort.

if you alter the prolad on the turbo, assuming it was holding fine before, all you will do is move the power slightly further up the band as it will take more movement of the actuator to release the flap. The boost is controlled by a calculation made by the ECU of load V airflow, not much you can do with trying to fool it

skinz mate what was the part number you got i work at eurou's and can tell you if it ends in 1 your in trouble and the branch that sold it to you needs to be shot lol, we at cambridge dont sell them as they are a recon unit and are nothing but trouble!
let us know mate

I got a boost gauge this mornin, do I tap into the hose from the manifold to the dump valve, is dv the dump valve? What is fpr? The where is the part no. On the turbo, ur gonna tell me it's that long no. On the side of the thrbo

i mean the euro part number on your invoice
should be 71944----
i plumbed a t piece into the vaccum line between inlet manifold - dumpvalve/recirc valve should be easy lol. fpr is fuel pressure regulator and you shouldnt be worrying about that yet i dont think . get that boost gauge plumbed in matey tells you everything tou need to know

Thought I was gonna have to take my turbo out, the part no. Is 719440031

Quattro is 12-14 psi FWD is 6-7 psi mine is plumed in at the FPR as I didnt want the piping across the manifold it goes Straight of to the bung on the bulkhead then through the ecu box.

sweet cheers for your help, i'll get the boost gauge fitted in the morning an let you knowhow its going, not sure where im gonna put the gauge yet, where did u plum it into the FPR, some pics would help plz

sweet cheers for your help, i'll get the boost gauge fitted in the morning an let you knowhow its going, not sure where im gonna put the gauge yet, where did u plum it into the FPR, some pics would help plz

IMG_0078.jpg