Boost Gauge Question

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
Evenin all
Ok so I finally got round to fitting the boost gauge (not done oil pressure yet) but I'm not sure if it works ok or if there's a problem with the motor. The gauge reads just off the bottom of the dial at idle and off throttle at 30 inHG and goes up to about 11 psi when I boot it in 3rd but the needle waggles about between 9 to 11 psi whilst being booted. I think I'm missing a couple of psi but the gauge may not be that accurate I suppose. Is the vac reading ok or should it not be as much as this?
Thanks for any info ;)
Si.

11 sounds about right for a non mapped 180bhp engine to be honest on peak boost. Vac a lot of peoples seem to vary to be honest.

On idle mine sits at 20inhg on overrun it's at 22inhg, and will boost to around 14psi but some times due to load will see 10-12psi and mine sticks at 10 with a tiny bit of needle wobble but doesn't go to nine unless I'm really running out of revs, and my t-piece has the brass restrictor on it to you may have a tiny leak if your vac is on 30inhg but as Jason says many peoples vary.

Thanks for the replies. It has a restrictor in the tee piece but I might try putting one in closer to the gauge. Bradderz, I don't think I have any leaks to the gauge but if I did surely it would read less as I would be loosing vac?? It's a shame it has such high vac pressure as it makes the gauge look a bit pants sat there with it's needle off the bottom of the dial. I was just seeing anyone else had this or if maybe the gauge was faulty but as it seems to read boost correctly then I suppose I must assume it works ok... Oh well
Cheers