More smoke from the S4!!!

nemo2182

Reaction score
Evening all,
I posted a thread a few months ago regarding my S4 puffing blue smoke when starting.....

Well, the story goes like this

I had a oil service recently, and put a engine conditioner through to "hopefully" clear the problem which was believed to be a hard valve stem seal. I decided to put a 5w 40 oil in also, as I know MRC recommend this on tuned b5's.

anyway, once done, start her up and heypresto, no smoke..........brilliant i thought......

Thing is now, i get smoke coming out the back of engine, from where the turbo lives???? Now, its defiantly burning oil, but I have no idea where from?? is the oil inlet pipes? is the turbo f@cked? thing is, still goes alright and doesnt smoke out the back? I have noticed it gets a fair bit of black soot on the tailpipes though?? Now it is using a bit of oil, but not as much as I expected when seeing the volume of smoke that comes out of it? I have to admit, it does seem to go when the car is warm.

This car is really upsetting me, I treat her so well......... Anyone want to make me an offer and take her on......

Any help would be appreciated

Nathan

Back of the engine could be one of the cam tensioner gaskets, or it could be a leak on one of the turbos oil lines?

Black soot on the exhaust tips is more just likely to be from your car running a little rich at full boost. Could point to a boost leak, or could be perfectly normal. I know MRC intentionally keep their maps a little rich at the top end for safety.

The only other suggestion I would make is the rocker cover gasket. These are prone to failure. Mine have gone a couple of times in my ownership and each time the leak was at the back corner and allowed oil to drip onto the manifold. How much smoke are we talking here? Is it visible, or can you just smell the burnt oil?

If the oil feed is leaking as Aragorn has suggested, I would expect to see a little bit of oil on the underside of the turbo. This is what mine looked like when I had the problem:
IMG_1292.jpg

I don't think that will be your issue though, as you mention the smoke goes after a while.