Forge FMIC confusion

B5QUAT

Reaction score
Just browsing the web trying to find a FMIC that suits my requirements and I noticed this.

If you go on Forgemotorsport.co.uk there is nothing listed for either the Audi A4 B5 or the Passat B5 1.8T in terms of an FMIC. However, if you go on Forgemotorsport.com (the US site) there is nothing listed for the Audi, but there is a FMIC offered for the Passat B5. Surely there can't be much difference between the two, I thought.

Then, if you download the Passat B5 fitting instructions, it shows a B5 Audi in the pictures, so clearly Forge must offer a kit for our cars (or did at some point). The instructions are titled "Audi A4/VW Passat (B5 chassis) 1.8T Front mounted intercooler", so the kit seems the same but if you read the instructions there are some bits that say "A4 only", so there are differences.

I've emailed Forge about it weeks ago but no reply so far :(

On the US site, the Passat kit is $995, so far form cheap but does look an exceptionally good quality kit that fits well.

Has anyone heard of a Forge A4 kit over here?

me.

they used my car as the development vehicle back in .
very nice piece of kit, doesnt involve massive chopping of bumper bar etc

if you search on here there is a write up I did some years ago

IMAGE_043.jpg

DSC03094.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll have a look for that.

Wonder why they no longer advertise it on thier site??????

Just sort your own system. Much cheaper. Forge is extorsionate! Toyosports intercooler and generic piping from ebay and pocket the rest!

^ Have to say I agree. I got the Toyosports cooler on my own A4, fitting was fairly straight forward although the bumper required some fairly extensive chopping

Cheers guys, that's the bit I'm not too keen on tbh. I've seen the kits on ebay but don't really fancy hacking great chunks out of my bumper and crashbar if I can avoid it. My Power aims aren't massive, so I don't really need a huge core.

The Godspeed kit looks ideal core wise (long and narrow so it gets the full benefit of the airflow from the lower vents). Don't really see the point of a big core where it partly sits behind the reg plate as it will get no airflow. The Godspeed kit is good value at £180 ish but they charge $200 to ship it from the States so it ends up being £300+ unfortunately, but because of its size, I imagine bumper carving is at a minimum AND it has 2.5" tubing as opposed to most of the ebay kits which are 2".

Was hoping Forge would be a better option being close to home but their prices seem way off the mark like you say.

On Audizine i saw a thread on fitting a cheap intercooler using most of the standard boost pipes, the outlets and additional piping you do need to buy to fit the standard rubber pipes is 2.25" which is 57mm. AS you say you arent going big power so yeah you could get one of the long thing ones that would fit within the lower grilles of the bumper and try to avoid cutting the metal bar within the bumper too much.

stick to 40-50mm cores and you will have room.
I wouldn't buy a forge one based on price alone. material and build quality is second to none though.

I didnt pay for mine as they had my car for 2 weeks!

any old eBay special will be better than stock within reason!