Exhaust

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
An idea I had floating around for some time is moving the tail pipes in behind the bumper and smoothing off the bumper spoiler.
I'm going to leave the smoothing bit to the body shop and the chopping up of the pipes to the garage but I'm unsure on the shoot.
Being a diesel, will the shoot cover the back end of the car or the underside?

Whats your general thoughts on this?
I might do a photoshop when I get home.

Here is a random back end pic.
2011_04_17_1273.jpg

Works for the Passats and many other diesels so no reason why it wouldnt work on yours providing you have the tips still pointing down obviously.

Works for the Passats and many other diesels so no reason why it wouldnt work on yours providing you have the tips still pointing down obviously.

Keeps the tips pointing down.
just shorten the pipe between the tips and the back box.

I wonder if this has been to a A4 before, need to see it before I comit.

This was a done on an A8 4.2. someone used a diesel back box with tips pointing down and fitted and blanked off the hole in lower trim. Look smart once it was all done. It was a member over on the tyresmoke forum. This was going back to 2007.

He had no problems with soot under his car.

Not my cup of tea but it works for many cars. My missus Clio has a down swept tailpipe hidden behind teh bumper and doesn't have soot problems. Which I'm amased at as her car only gets washed once in a blue moon. lol

Would look smoother and tidier but the amount of work involved i`d rather just get some straight shiney tips put on like we all do on the petrol cars. Fills the gap better than what yours do now and would look better. Ok not amazing for the exhaust soot all up the back of the car but you could try and find a tip like the Mercedes have which is an oval with a slight lip inside it angled down to direct the smoke to the floor but retaining the straight tip look.

Would look smoother and tidier but the amount of work involved i`d rather just get some straight shiney tips put on like we all do on the petrol cars. Fills the gap better than what yours do now and would look better. Ok not amazing for the exhaust soot all up the back of the car but you could try and find a tip like the Mercedes have which is an oval with a slight lip inside it angled down to direct the smoke to the floor but retaining the straight tip look.

Get some DTM tips and fit them upside down? lol

I'm getting the bumper spryed, so if its not to much more i'll get the hole done.

Its a common VW mod of late, and seen a few do it on Audizine aswell, check those sites for it!

I'm not doing it. I'm crap at paint work.
Going to talk to the body shop boys.

Even a professional job is going to be dubious in my mind. As soon as you introduce filler and suchlike to a plastic part like that its just going to forever be cracking up.

To make it blend in ok you`d probably have to paint the lower section but then the bumper would look odd compared to the skirts and the front bumper which remain black plastic.

To make it blend in ok you`d probably have to paint the lower section but then the bumper would look odd compared to the skirts and the front bumper which remain black plastic.

Keep the lower half black but a matt. It might match the sides but not the front but you don't really notice the front bumper spoiler that much.

Colour wise it might blend in alright but the texture compared to the unpainted plastic you have currently might look odd. From a distance it`ll look alright but anything closer might be a bit iffy.

Was one thing I hated on my B5 was the exhaust showing, always wanted to do the same thing as what you're planning, the B6 I have now is hidden and it looks so much cleaner.