THUD Noise Over Speed bumps

I

imported_khuramz

Ok chappies HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEElp me....i am really confused about a problem with my 96/N A4 1.8T, it seems to be getting worse with time....well basically when ever i go over a speed bump ( or any non-flat bit of the road) i get a loud thud from both wheels at the front. Yes i have tried low speeds and it still the same...ok what have i had done to it...well i have had the front lower control arms replaced both sides...didn't sort it. I have also had the track rod ends done ( separate problem)...my mate is a vw/audi mechanic and is a bit stuck on this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif one....he was thinking maybe its the front rear control arm..any ideas? Ok by the way i have eibach pro damperz ( baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad boyz) and spax springs. The noise was there before i had the suspension upgraded....has got worse over time. Oh i am ruuning 17" S4 wheels sitting on Yokohama 225/45's..plenty of tire. Any ideas/ anyone had this problem? its really buggign me and ruining my driving experience.....

Oh i just remembered i had the anti-roll bar bushes changed aswel didn't make any difference!!

If you have replaced the drop links to the ARB and it has not cured it virtually only way is to replace all of the front suspension arms. Don't mess about trying to replace just one or two. I did this - just replaced the bottom 4, then the drop links then the top 4. It turned out to be 2 of the top ones that were causing the knocking on mine and they were proper nakered. The job takes twice as long and costs you more to do.
I think VAGparts sells a kit that includes all of the suspension arms and works out loads cheaper than buying them individually.

Be prepared though to have to heat the top ones to red hot to get the bolt out that secures them to the top of the hub carrier - it rusts in place

HTH,
John