B7 A4 Caliper Alternatives&cross-referencing

gmx

Reaction score
So most of us agree, that, through first-hand experience or experience through others, B5 S4 calipers suck. Pad selection blows and they're not all flash performance wise. Sucks for me, I already ended up buying 320x30 disc

So we know there's the B7 ATE 2.0T caliper we also know is the same sans carrier (and therefore, disc diameter size) as the B6 S4/B7 S4. We also can identify a large range of other longitudinal Audis these came on esp in 345x30 or 347x30 size. We also know the B7 A4 uses the same size disc as the B5 S4 except those carriers&calipers tend to be much less commonly available...

But, what about VWs? What about the 8P S3 or even 8J TT-S? Are they exactly the same caliper/carrier as the B6/B7 S4 setup?

Last edited:
Ok from a bit more googling the only difference fitment-wise is in the actual disc hub height (makes sense).

It looks like the carrier is the same.

On another note, the single piston in the R32 is smaller than the B6/B7 S4 by 3mm^2.

The R32/S3 caliper has a 57mm piston, whereas the A4/S4 version has a 60mm piston.

However the stock calipers on the B5 have 57mm pistons anyway, so thats not such a bad thing.

The TT stuff is different afaik.

So... to replace the standard B5 S4 caliper/carrier... all we have to do is keep the same size disc, but change the caliper/carrier out to a B6/B7 2.0T unit? No further mod are necessary to complete the procedure?

yep!

I think its only some 2.0T's that have the large caliper though, maybe the higher power models or something. So you want to check the car has 320mm disks if your buying them from a breakers or whatever.

Hmmmm... might be able to fit my S4 rims over the calipers without having to use spacers then!

Cheers for the info guys.

How common are these things there?
I've had a WTB ad up on local audi, vw forums with NO bites. ***!!:tumble: Well 1 guy has a set or MK5 R32 brakes. I think my "lowball" will be declined (no I will not pay outta my **** for a set of brakes used on 50% of the model lineup lol)

Another thing is the master cylinder, I'll go digging for specs on the standard unit. But I think the B5 S4 has the same one as the A4... or is it that that the RS4 is same as S4 OR..... is the whole lineup the same? lol.
Edit: It's the same across the entire lineup. Only difference is LHD/RHD and vehicles with esp. Other than that, same PN.

Last edited:
Yea I just noticed that one was a B5/B6 replacement caliper.

Got any tips Kev? Where to pick up some of these!