RS4 camshalfts on S4??

LeeT

Reaction score
What are the gains in this? My car is standardish at the moment but have been offered these at a completely unbeatable price. My plans for near future are 450>500bhp
Aragorn?

if your aiming for 500hp then they're desirable for sure.

They are the same as the cams out of a 2.4 v6 though, and often suffer from wear to the case hardening due to the **** oil audi specified on the RS4 so bear that in mind if your buying used.

Personally, i'd probably look at simply buying a complete set of 2.4 heads with cams and fitting them complete (with the correct exhaust valves) if i was going for a serious 500hp. That way your getting the larger ports and the cams and lifters all matched together. Given that complete 2.4 engines can be had for a couple hundred quid, it seems the cheapest option to me.

I'd only heard of one car running RS4 cams in S4 heads, it was one of the very early K04 conversions. That car is now back on S4 cams.

Personally I would avoid the chocolate cams.

The "chocolate"ness comes from the fact that the cars making a lot of power and thus putting a lot of heat into its crappy 5w30 oil. Too much heat and the oil film breaks down and you get contact between cam and lifter.

I've never heard of a 2.4 engine eat its cams, which makes sense as the engines only making 160hp and has no turbos.

That said, your as a result more likely to find a good set of cams from a 2.4 than you are from an RS.